forty

"Are you okay?" I worriedly asked her, she looked quite serious as we walked over to an empty paddock.

Charles is probably looking for me.

"I was sent the contract from Chase Carey you know for the whole award show performance thing." She forewarned.

"Yeah what an opportunity, he told me about it at the Dutch Grand Prix-

She cut me off "Did you read it?"

"Um no he was in a rush so I signed it quickly- how long is this going to take Isa, Charles is probably looking for me to celebrate."

"He's a fucking scum bag." Isa muttered under her breathe sitting on the floor.

"What?" I asked her confused as she pulled out two pieces of paper from her bag.

"Read these." She put them out on the floor in front of me so I sat and read the parts of the contract she had highlighted.

Once this contract is signed Melody Verstappen will be obligated to carry out all of the following tasks before the FIA prize giving ceremony:
- wear an alpine cap to a race to create a media frenzy
-wear smaller clothing at each Grand Prix to gain the attention of more men to the sport
-wear 5 skirts across the rest of the season
-sleep with another driver on the grid to create more rivalry between teams or create a scandal
-have a public fight with max in the paddock

I put the piece of paper on the ground horrified "What the fuck?"

Isa shook her head "It's bad Mel, you've already signed it and I don't know what to do."

"They're using me to start shit. This is disgusting." I exclaimed closing my eyes as tears were staring to form.

"I know. The old perverts are trying to make you dress like a slut to bring attention to the sport because they can't do it themselves - it's horrific." She said practically growling.

"Fuck."

We sat in silence for a few minutes as I reread the same lines over and over, why did I sign it without reading it.

What an idiot.

"Mel are you out here?" Charles' voice echoed from a paddock over as he finally reached us.

"In here." I croaked out.

"Come out and celebrate- wait what happened?" He asked seeing my face pale as a ghost.

"No don't worry about it, go and celebrate and we will discuss it tomorrow." I suggested picking up the paper and holding it close to me.

"Melody. Please tell me." He begged.

"It's your big night please forget about it, I will tell you first thing tomorrow I don't want to ruin your day." I said getting up and walking towards him.

But he wasn't having it.

"Melody I swear to god if you don't tell me-

Isa had had enough and grabbed the paper from my hands and put it in his, his face went from confusion to red hot anger in seconds.

"Mel. Please don't say this is the contract Chase Carey made you sign because he was in a rush in Italy." Charles asked holding the paper firmly.

I nodded slowly in defeat "Fucking dickheads the pair of them, I swear to god when I see that man-

"No. No you can't do anything Charles, if you say anything about this they will have you taken out of formula one so fast." I demanded and he shook his head.

"No melody, why should you have to be a fucking sex spectacle for all the old horny men in the world? I can't sit back and pretend I don't know about that? This is fucked Mel." He grunted.

"I'm sorry." I whispered quietly and he shook his head and hugged me.

"Look, we could sue but that may still create problems for Charles' career." Isa announced as she collected the papers from her bag.

"Let it. They can kick me out of formula one for life for all I care-

"Don't say that Charles. We can't sue Isa, I signed it at the end of the day, the damage is done." I sighed putting my head in my hands.

"No because you were forced into signing it, he said he was in a rush perhaps he wasn't actually and he knew that you'd read it and decline the offer once you had. He had to come up with a reason to make you sign it quickly Mel." Isa theorised.

"Exactly." Charles agreed with her.

"Maybe he did who knows? I don't and neither of you two do either. Suing isn't going to do anything but create more problems." I pointed out.

"Mel you can't do that shit." Isa told me.

"Trust me I don't want to, but I'm not having Charles' career at risk because I've decided to sue the head of formula one. Charles' career will be affected alongside Maxs' and probably Carlos' too. I can't do that to them." I explained as tears began to roll down my face.

"Mel-

"No. Tonight we're going to forget about this, Charles this is your night, tomorrow we will come back to it alright?" I rethought as I wiped my cheeks that were now soaked in my tears.

"I can't-

"Charles for the love of god. Do something good for yourself and stop putting me before you, go and celebrate an incredible win with the boys." I told him and he knew he wasn't going to get out of this so he finally agreed.

"You can't come with?" He asked slightly sadly.

I shook my head "I don't feel too well."

"Well I can stay and-

"Charles just go okay, I will watch her for you." Isa smiled at him as he finally left.

Recently I hadn't been feeling great but it was hard to admit to Charles because he was so hopeful in the new medication and it was working but I've been sick probably every day for the past three weeks.

"Still sick huh? Or was that an excuse so you don't have to risk seeing Chase and god forbid Stefano." She shuddered as we walked out from the paddock out to our hotel which was only a few minutes away walking.

"No I'm so nauseous it's ridiculous, I don't even know how to tell Charles about it because he will worry." I told her and she nodded in understanding.

"Yeah he doesn't do as well in his races when he's stressed about shit. Hasn't he heard you like being sick?" She quizzed.

"Nope he's always been asleep he benefits from lying in a bit so I don't really disturb it." I told her and she stopped in her tracks.

"Mel have you seriously only been sick in the mornings?" Isa asked and I nodded yes.

"Oh my god you're pregnant!"