Chapter 34

*Vikranth Pov*

I sat there in silence and looked away as they both continued to cry hugging. I glanced around thinking maybe it was better to give them some privacy.

So, I moved to stand up while the helper who was also staring at them gestured me to the door at the back.

I nodded at that and walked towards the door before stepping out. As I took a few more steps, I found a part of the area was covered with broken marble pieces.

"Sir!" I turned to find the helper passing a glass of water to my hand.

I thanked her and then continued to glance at the marble pieces and she suddenly said, "This was where the memorial piece for Madam's daughter was placed. Suddenly one day she started smashing it and we were surprised. Now, I understand why she did that."

Then I remembered that they thought she passed away because of that person and nodded at her words.

"Why were these not cleared?" I asked glancing at the helper.

"Madam asked us not to touch them and comes here a few times to spend time with these broken pieces." I got confused hearing those words and didn't say anything in response.

Why would she do that? I drank water and passed the glass to the helper thanking her again.

I stood there for some time and then heard footsteps again. I turned to find Kanika's Mom walked towards me with a polite smile.

"She looked tired and I suggested her to rest. She agreed and I let her sleep in my room." She explained reaching me.

"Do you want to take a rest?" She added and I stared at her thinking whether I should stay back for Kanika or leave so that they could spend time together.

"I will go back. When she wakes up, please let me know so that I can pick her up." Saying that I passed my business card.

"Sure!" she nodded taking it and we both stood there in silence.

"This was the memorial piece for her which I placed when I thought she..." she couldn't finish the words and I calmly said, "I know!"

"Why are the pieces still here?" I asked as I thought it is better to talk than to stand here in silence.

"When I returned from the hospital, I immediately broke the slab. As I was about to ask them to clean these away, I felt these just seemed like what I did to her little heart by leaving her. So, these represented her state for me and I left them here to see what I did to her every day and feel the pain which is my punishment." She explained and I glanced at her in surprise as I didn't expect those words at all.

"We always do something thinking it is best for everyone but end up hurting the most important person." She added looking down.

Then she took a deep breath and suddenly glanced at me with a smile asking, "Do you love my daughter?"

"Wh.. what?" I asked feeling surprised with the sudden change in conversation.

"I... yes!" I replied as she just stared at me.

"Good! I will not force myself into her life and stay at the length she wishes me to. However, I will not let anyone hurt her. When you married her, she may not have any family but now she does. So, take proper care of her and finish the fight with her soon." She said in a very strict tone that I moved my hands from my pant pockets and stood properly.

"Fight?" I asked in a confused tone.

"Meghana told me that you both are fighting right now and that's why she is not staying with you. Don't be mad at her because I kept on asking about Kanika and her life and she just blurted out." She replied and I understood where this was coming from.