Chapter 54

*Vikranth Pov*

I blinked away hearing someone clearing their throat and turned to find Prathap looking at me with a smirk.

"What?" I asked with a calm tone and took a sip from the glass.

"Nothing! So, you were talking about samples and witnessed my proposal. Any idea on what to do now?" He asked leaning closer to talk in a low tone.

"No! I am not going to do it." I stated and he gave a shocked look.

"What!? Are you betraying her?" He asked in a shocked tone.

"If you do, I will stand on her side. Also, not because she is Anitha's friend but because Kanika doesn't deserve betrayal." He just continued without letting me talk.

"Stop!" I forced him to stop talking as he slowly raised his voice.

"I am not betraying her. I got rejected twice already and I saw she was hurting to reject me. So, I decided to not do it and wait until she is ready." I explained while glaring at him for his assumption.

"Oh! Oh... you got rejected? Why?" He asked frowning.

"Don't know! It doesn't matter as she has every right to do it." I replied calmly.

He stared at me for a second before patting my shoulder. He suddenly chuckled and I sighed realizing this will be a joke for them.

"I am not teasing you. I am just remembering our past. Your only worry used to be how to make GH the big one in the business world like lifting it using your shoulders. Now, your shoulders are free." He said smiling.

"Also, if I asked you this matter in the past, you wouldn't have said a word but now you just said everything with ease." He added and cleared his throat to clear away the emotions.

"I am Sorry!" I apologized realizing no matter how much I took care of them, they must have wanted this more than my care.

"It's okay! After everything, we understand why you were like that." He said waving it off.

"Kanika is leaving the party." He suddenly said and I turned to find her walking towards the door.

He waved at Anitha and who reached us saying, "She met the important people and want to go back early. She is tired with all the work today."

"We can also return to our room. Even you must be tired with today's work." Prathap said holding her hand.

"Someone from GH should be here, right?" She asked frowning.

"I will be here. You both go and get some rest." I replied and she hesitated before leaving with Prathap.

I stayed back talking to whoever approached me and finally returned to the room at nearly midnight.

When I entered the room, I found the lights were still on. Is she still awake? I thought glancing at the bed only to see her sitting on the bed but still asleep.

I smiled approaching her and lifted the duvet to make her lay down properly. When her saree moved from her waist, I remembered the earlier incident when I just acted that way.

I didn't know why I did it but I heard her calling me her husband with such a confident tone, I couldn't stop myself. It felt like I could hear it all the time from now on.

I shifted her body and was about to cover the duvet but she woke up mumbling, "You came back?"

"Yes! Go to sleep!" I whispered pressing my lips to her forehead.

"No!" hearing her voice, I immediately stood back.

"I mean... No... I mean, I don't want to go to sleep." Saying that she sat up and struggling to open her eyes.