Chapter 18

She says what she always says...
A few months later...

"I just need more time!" Y/n said fiddling with her engagement ring.

"But why? I thought you were happy to be with me. I thought it was perfect! We were really ready and happy!" Sean said as a tear slipped from his eye.

"But, I'm just not ready." Y/n said still fiddling with her ring.

"That's not fair!!!" Sean shouted. "That's not fair Y/n!! Why would you do this to us?"

Y/n looked at Sean. Sean's eyes were going back and forth, looking at Y/n with eyes of dread sadness. His eyes were red, baggy, and puffy.

"Why would you do this to us?" Sean asked again whispering.

Y/n couldn't even produce words. Her eyes became glossy just looking at Sean. She knew something was wrong with her. But, she just couldn't commit to marriage yet.

"Y/n, I love you. But why did you have to do this? Why us? Is there something wrong?" Sean asked pleading to try to change Y/n's mind.

"There is nothing wrong. I just...I just..."

"You just what, Y/n. What is it "you just" can't do?" Sean asked getting mad at her.

"I just can't commit to marriage yet." Y/n whispered looking into Sean's beating red eyes.

"So, what your saying is, we're done? Forever, nothing, just friends?"

"No! That's not what I mean! What I'm saying is all we need to do is stay boyfriend and girlfriend a little longer until I feel like getting married."

Sean just looked at her. His tears spilling out of his eyes a small bit more. He grabbed her hands and rested his forehead on hers, letting their tears flow against one another.

"Y/n, please don't do this." Sean whispered.

Y/n couldn't look at Sean. Her gaze went down her their hands. She intertwined her fingers with his. Y/n could feel the sad grin that speed over Sean's depressed face. Sean then started rubbing her knuckles with his thumb.

"Can you please not split this up between us?" Sean asked whispering still.

"I'm not splitting everything up! Not our friendship! Not our relationship! Just our...just our....just our engagement." Y/n whispered back, tears flowing down dropping onto their hands.

Sean bursted out sobbing. He collapsed on Y/n into a tight hug. Y/n tightly hugged Sean back but didn't cry as much as he did. She was doing something wrong and she knew it.

"Why are you doing this!? Why did you have to break something between us!?" Sean cried.

Y/n kept quite. She didn't want to reply to Sean. She was too scared to even talk now because she might break his heart into a million more pieces.

Just like the glass.

The glass that broke between them before they were even a couple. The glass that was shattered into little tiny pieces onto the ground. People walk onto these shares of glass, not caring to pick up the pieces and put them back together.

"Y/n! I d-don't want you to go!!" Sean cried loosing his breath.

Y/n tears started falling down faster. She let go of Sean's hug and let them be face to face. She cupped his face with her hands and looked at him in his bright blue eyes.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here, your girlfriend. Just not your fiancé." Y/n said.

"NO! That's not what I want!" Sean shouted pushing her hands off of his face. "It's either we stay engaged or you turn in your ring and we live out separate ways, just as friends as we used to be."

Y/n eyes got even more tears as they dropped down. Her eyes started looking back and forth while staring into his eyes. She shook her head no.

"No, that's not what we agreed." Y/n said.

"Well I didn't agree on yours either, Y/n!" Sean said.

"I want to stay together. Just not fiancées. Please Sean, that's all I want!" Y/n pleaded.

"But, if that happens, I won't be able to look at you the same!" Sean whispered.

"Can we please Sean!? I won't be able to live without you!"

"I won't be able to either Y/n!! I want to stay as the fiancé to you but you don't seem to agree! It's your choice." Sean whispered.

Y/n looked at Sean one last time before looking down at her hand. She looked back up at Sean who was crying so badly that it was indescribable. Y/n then looked back down at her hand and grabbed the ring. She slipped it off slowly until it was completely off.

Looking back up at Sean, she kept a hold of the ring, not wanting to let go. She grabbed Sean hand and set the ring in the palm of his hand.

"So, I guess this is, goodbye then." Sean said looking at the ring.

"I guess so." Y/n whispered with a sniffle.

Sean looked at Y/n with the eyes of depression. He then swung his arms around her and didn't let go.

"Don't leave me!! I don't want you to go!" Sean cried.

Y/n pulled Sean off of her. The tears were falling down fast on both of their faces. Y/n looked at Sean big, red, puffy eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Y/n whispered.

Sean wrapped Y/n into a big hug as she hugged back. They both cried onto each other's shoulders for the rest of the night.