Chapter Three: Abbie's Here

Ashton's POV

Ashton's POV

Abbie stormed over to our table. I stiffened in my seat, suddenly not hungry for my smoothie. Ali glanced at me with a worried look. I gave her a look back that I hoped look like an 'It's okay' look, but I probably looked terrified.

"How could you, Ashy?!?" Abbie screamed, standing beside our table with her arms crossed.

"Abbie, calm down. We're just hanging out!" I explained quickly. I hated it when she got mad so easily. It happened a lot at school when lots of girls flirted with me. She acted like it was my fault, but I couldn't control my good looks.

But my attempt didn't calm her down. "Liar! You're leaving me!" she exclaimed, giving me the puppy eyes and pouty lip.

I bit back a sigh. "I'm not! I'm not a liar. Please believe me, Abbie." I pleaded. 

Suddenly, Ali stood up. "Maybe I should go," she suggested hesitantly, jerking a thumb towards the door.

I shot up from my chair. "No! Don't go! I mean, stay. Just...stay." My voice sounded pleading and somewhat obsessive. She must've noticed because she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"No, I really should. You need to sort this out. I don't want to get between you and your girlfriend." She picked up her backpack and smoothie.

"Well, Ashton," Abbie's voice broke through. I turned to her. "If you can't tell me what you were doing with this girl," she said 'girl' in a disgusted tone. It made me angry. "then she should tell me herself." I put my hand out to stop her.

"Please don't, Abbie." I warned. She ignored me and turned to Ali. Ali just stared her down, not looking a bit frightened.

"Tell me what you were doing with my boyfriend!" Abbie shouted in her face. I got the sudden urge to push Abbie back to get her away from Ali, but I didn't.

Ali took a step back, not breaking Abbie's eye contact. Then she shrugged. "I didn't even know Ashton had a girlfriend."

Abbie rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right."

"Abbie, stop. I never told her about you. She didn't know," I butted in. Abbie glared at me, silently telling me to shut up, then turned back to Ali. I wanted to scream.

"Now tell me. Why were you on a date with Ashton?" Abbie asked her.

"We had just gotten done with a workout and Ashton suggested that we get a smoothie. And he specifically told me that it wasn't a date." She explained it so simply and I was slightly shocked at her confidence.

Abbie nodded in satisfaction. "Good. Thanks for explaining, hun." Then she grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the table. I wanted to yank my hand away and stay with Ali, but she kept my hand in hers with a death grip.

I glanced back at Ali and mouthed 'Sorry' before Abbie pulled me out the door. Leaving Ali and my awaiting smoothie behind.

There was nothing I could do at this point.