Chapter Thirty-Seven: Christmas Eve

^ Ali's Christmas Eve party outfit ^

Aliana's POV

Curled up on the couch with my book was how I wanted to spend my Christmas Eve. The fire was flickering in the fireplace, a steaming cup of hot cocoa sat on the coffee table in front of me. I didn't really need to go anywhere.

But Fiona had other plans.

"Ali, how could we just not go? It's the annual Christmas Eve party put on by none other then Blake Donner. It's a big deal. We'd be bumped so far down on the popularity list if we didn't go. Do you really want that?" she screeched. 

I plugged my ears and turned towards her on the couch cushion. "But I hate parties, and you know that," I whined in protest. She put her hands on her hips and blew out a dramatic sigh.

"C'mon, Ali, don't be a party pooper," she said childishly. I groaned and dropped my head back onto the back of the couch.

"Fine, I'll go," I agreed after a long conversation with myself in my mind. I've hated parties ever since my first high school party in 9th grade. I was only 14, the place and people seriously freaked me out. Especially in their drunk states.

Fiona squealed and hugged me so tight I thought I would die from lack of air supply. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed. I peeled her off me and took some much needed gasps of air.

"Too. Tight," I gasped. 

She looked at me sheepishly. "Sorry." I stood up straight once I had a steady air flow. "We should get ready for the party!" I sighed and let her pull me upstairs, the strength of her pull so strong I thought she would pull my arm out of it it's socket.

She went straight to our closet and started rummaging around. I leaned against the bunk bad as she started going through the hung up shirts and dresses.

"Is Zora coming?" I asked her. She threw a dress on the floor and went back to the closet.

"Yeah, I think so. I texted her and she said she had to ask her brother if he could take her, and you know her brother, he loves to drive his new 'super cool' truck," she replied with an eye roll. Her brother did have a huge obsession over his new truck.

"Oh, well, hopefully she can come." Fiona didn't reply, because she was too busy looking in the mirror, the dress she was holding totally forgotten in her hand. I pushed off the bed slowly and took a step towards her.

She ran a hand over her stomach, flatting it out more then normal, so flat you could see her ribs. She turned to the side and inspected her hips. I took a few steps closer. I hadn't seen Fiona actually look in the mirror, and see herself as fat.

A tear slid down her cheek as she scanned her body with her eyes. 

"Fiona," I said softly. Her head snapped towards me, her eyes filled with tears. She blinked a couple times and used her thumbs to wipe away the stray tears.