Chapter Nineteen: Jealousy Hit Me Like A Freight Train

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

Thank God it's lunch time. My tummy had been growling all through French class. I started towards the cafeteria, eager to eat whatever food Mrs. Reams packed for me. I walked through the cafeteria door, and right away got the sudden urge to cover my ears. It was always so loud in the cafeteria. This was always the time when everyone got all the loud talking out of their systems. 

I started over to my normal table. Fiona and Zora were already there, talking up a storm like everyone else. I sat down next to Zora and pulled out my lunch bag. They didn't stop talking. I pulled out the egg salad sandwich and my stomach growled even more. I unwrapped it at the top and bit into it.

Unhh... Literal heaven in my mouth.

I glanced around the cafeteria as I chewed. My eyes stopped when I spotted Mason standing with his tray by the trash cans. His eyes wandered around the cafeteria. 

"I'll be right back," I told Fiona and Zora, even though I knew they wouldn't hear me. I put down my sandwich and started walking towards him. When I stopped in front of him, his eyes darted towards me.

He jumped, the contents on his tray bouncing. "You scared me," he exclaimed.

"Sorry," I replied with a soft laugh. 

He shrugged and smiled. "It's ok."

"So, do you want to sit with me and my friends?" I asked him.

He looked at me with surprise. "Really?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Wow. Thanks. I would like that."

"Follow me." I started walking back towards our table and Mason followed behind me. He kept his head down the whole time, probably not wanting to see Ryan again. Honestly, I wouldn't want to see him again, either.

I sat down at my seat where my food was and Mason sat next to me. "Guys," I said loudly, only because I knew they wouldn't hear me over the chatter if I didn't yell. They looked at me.

"What?" they asked in unison. They looked at each other and broke into a fit of giggles. I sighed.

"Guys!" I yelled again. They looked back at me. "This is Mason. Mason, this is Fiona and Zora, my supposedly best friends." I sent them a look.

Zora laughed sheepishly. "Sorry about that. Hi, Mason. I'm Zora."

Mason smiled shyly. "Hi."

"And I'm Fiona," Fiona chimed in. 

"Hi," Mason said again.

"He's new to our school," I explained.

"I can see that," Fiona said. I sent her another look. What has gotten into my best friends?

"Well, he's gonna sit with us," I told them. Fiona shrugged and Zora smiled.

"Welcome to our cool people table!" Zora exclaimed. Mason smiled in return.