Chapter Forty-Five: Star Light, Star Bright

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

It was dark. There were no clouds in the sky, so you could see the bright stars that were sprinkled across the ebony canvas. The moon was half full, beautiful and bright. I closed my eyes and sighed a contented sigh before I continued to walk towards the park.

I could see Ashton's figure sitting on top of the big hill in the middle of the park, the one that I used to roll down with Fiona and Zora. I took big steps up the hill towards Ashton.

I came up beside him and sat down. He didn't look at me, just laid down on the blanket covering the remaining patches of sticky snow. I did that same.

Ashton suddenly spoke into the dark night after some quiet seconds of just listening to the cars and crickets. "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might," He turned his head towards me. "have the girl I want tonight." My heart seized with love for him, but I had to get out the words I came here to get out.

"Ashton, I need to explain something to you," I said quietly.

"Okay," he whispered. I could tell by his face that he was hurt. His jaw was tight, and his eyes wouldn't leave the night sky. I hated myself for hurting him in a such a way. I wanted to erase his hurt, and the first step to that was explaining.

I looked up towards the sky, bracing myself for whatever reaction he may have. "Tyler told me about how he was lying. He said that he was just telling me all of that stuff because he still likes me. And he said he was lying about what you said about me. He wanted us to break up so he could be with me."

He stared at me. "Okay, that doesn't really surprise me. But you know, Ali, I can't just let you off the hook. You hurt me too, it wasn't just Tyler's doing. Why did you believe him? Did you really think I would say that stuff?"

I sighed and shook my head. "I know, I messed up. And no. Well, maybe. It was just so crazy to me that you wanted to be with me. I'm such a hassle to be with. It's hard to even be friends with me. And after you asked me to be your girlfriend, I was always worried that you were going to realize how annoying I was and realize that you made a mistake."

He swallowed and pushed a curl behind my ear. "Oh, Alibear. Of course I wouldn't. You're seriously the best thing that has ever happened to me. I feel like I can be anything, or anyone around you. You make me happy."

He smiled a little, and I returned it. "Thanks, Ash. Let's never let Tyler get in the middle of us ever again."

"Yes, please. He's an idiot."

"You know, he's not that bad."

He gasped in fake hurt. "Oh my gosh, Alibear. I cannot believe that you just said that about Tyler, of all people. If you lived with him, you'd know what I mean," he said.

I giggled. He scooted closer to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I snuggled into his side. We stayed there for a second before he spoke again.

"You don't know how hard it was when you said we couldn't be together anymore. We promised each other forever, and there we were, leaving each other." I looked up to see him staring at the stars.

I frowned. "Oh, Ashton." I lift my hand and brushed a lock of hair out of his eyes. "I'm still keeping that promise, you know."

"I'm glad, because I am too." I took away my hand and settled it on his cheek.

"I would never date Tyler again. He broke my heart, and he's just too late. I can't believe he really thinks he can come back like that, asking to date again. Also, he's with Vicky. What even happened to her?"

"I don't know, but they were making out at our table last week, so I'm pretty sure they're still together," he said.

"Huh. But whatever, let's focus on us now." He nodded. We stayed still for a second in silence, listening to the sounds of the wind.

He turned his head towards me, his eyes solemn. "Just promise you won't leave me, even when you're doubting your decisions, just always remember we can make it work," he stroked my cheek with his fingertip. "Because I believe that we can make it work." His sweet words made me feel choked up. He suddenly stood up, pulling me up with him. He took both of my hands in his. 

"You're still the most beautiful girl I've ever seen," he breathed. He lifted one hand and cupped my blushing cheek. I leaned into his touch, closing my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Ashton," I whispered.

"Don't be sorry, because I'm not sorry," he whispered back before his soft lips were on mine. I sighed against his lips and leaned into the kiss. We kissed like that for a second before he pulled away and grinned at me, a sneaky glint in his eyes. I raised a brow as he pulled me down the hill.

I giggled as he lifted me up into his arms and carried me to the swing set in the middle of the playground. He put me down, and I sat down on one of the swings. He started pushing me, and I closed my eyes, letting the cold air flow through my hair.

He suddenly stopped the swing and leaned down so his mouth was right next to my ear. "I love you," he whispered in my ear, his warm breath sending shivers down my body.

I smiled to myself before whispering back. "I love you, too."

T H E  E N D (Well, almost)