Chapter Four: Locked In

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

I ran through the front door. Then I ran down the path outside our house. Then I slowed to walk, as I was starting to lose my breath. I took a couple of breaths then walked into the woods. The woods outside my house were always my favorite place to be as a kid. I loved the smell of the pine trees and sometimes it smelled like rain. It always felt like my safe place.

And right now, all I needed was a safe place. I walked down the trail as I admired the beautiful sounds of the birds singing and the wind whistling through the trees.

I stopped walking when I spotted the cabin at the end of the trail.

The cabin used to be my playhouse as a kid. I went there alone to play with my stuffed animals and have tea parties with them. I had a little doll house in there too, and I can't forget the wooden kitchen my mom put in there for my 6th birthday.

I smiled at the memories as I walked towards the cabin. But I stopped in my tracks when I noticed that the door was open. Right before I left to live with Fiona, I had taken out all of the stuff from my cabin/playhouse, and closed the door. The only thing I left up was the fairy lights, which were strung all over the room.

I started walking again, but slower and cautiously. I walked through the open door and looked around. I screeched when I saw I tall figure standing by the window with a notebook in his hands. He whirled around and looked at me.

Ashton.

Why was he always at the same place and the same time as me? "What are you doing here?" I asked him, putting a hand over my heart as I slowed my fast paced breathing.

"I should be asking you the same," he replied. I just stared at him.

I gestured at the cabin. "This is my cabin." He looked at me, realization crossing his face.

"Oh...really?" he asked. I nodded. His arm went limp as it fell to his side, the notebook falling out of his hand in the process.

"I didn't know that," he said softly after a second of silence.

"Can you at least tell me what you're doing here?" I asked him.

"Well..." He trailed off.

"Speak," I ordered. He obeyed.

"My dad asked me to scout out this place so he could tear the whole forest down for new houses. But then I came across this cabin and I decided to look at it," he explained. My eyes widened.

"What?!? Are you serious?!?" I screeched. 

He looked taken aback. "Yeah...Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little," he confessed.

"He can't do that! This is my favorite place in the whole world! I practically grew up in these woods. Even in this cabin!" I exclaimed. Then I went over and slammed the door. It clicked, but I ignored it. Then I pointed to the notebook on the floor. "And you are not giving those notes to your dad!"