Chapter Nine: "I Love It When You Call Me Ash"

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

Dad's face was bright red with anger. "Dad, I can explain," I said quickly. 

He shook his head. "No need." He walked slowly towards us. "I can already see what you're up to."

I sighed. "Really?" 

"Yes," he said. "And I'm not happy about it." This was what I worried about.

"Sir," Ashton jumped in. "It was my fault. I distracted her from getting your groceries."

"Thanks," I mouthed to him. He smiled back.

"Enough. I don't care about the groceries. I care about having a boy in my house." Ashton scratched his neck nervously.

"I don't have an excuse for that," he said sheepishly.

I turned to Dad. "I do. He got into a fight and I took him here to clean him up. I was just helping him."

"What? Getting into fights?!?" Dad growled.

"Stop!" I exclaimed. "He was fighting off Elijah! For me!" Dad's face changed for a split second, but went back to its original state seconds later.

"Well, thanks for helping my daughter, but you're not off the hook that easily," Dad said stubbornly.

"Dad! You're acting like he did something horrible, but he did the opposite!" I crossed my arms angrily.

"It doesn't matter." he said. Then he pointed to the door. "Out." Ashton glanced at me sadly. I gave him a sympathetic look. He stuck his hands in his pockets, opened the door, and walked away.

I turned to Dad. "Do you ever stop yelling at me?!?" He frowned.

"Yes, I do. You just keep doing scandalous stuff!" he exclaimed.

"Dad, get this straight. Disagreeing with you is not scandalous! I can't agree with you on everything! I think differently of your rules! I'm not perfect, Dad! No one is!" I sighed and let my head fall back. I stared at the ceiling, waiting for him to say something.

"I'll let you off easy this time, only because I have a wedding coming up, and I want everyone to be happy here," he said. I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Okay." I looked at him for a second, then walked upstairs to my room.

***

I flopped down on my bed and the springs squeaked loudly. It was probably heard through the whole house, but I didn't care. 

Why did my dad have to be like this after my mom left us? Everything was turned into a fight when I was around him. I was doing a good deed! He knew that I wanted to be a doctor someday, and he should let me get my practice on someone, even if that someone was a boy.