Chapter Ten: Intertwined

Ashton's POV (It's about time

Ashton's POV (It's about time...)

We stood there, staring at each other. Awkward silence stretched between us. "Oh! The movie." Ali broke the silence. She turned away and went over to the DVD player.

I blinked a couple times. "Yeah, the movie." She pushed a button and the DVD player popped open. She put the DVD in and closed the player. She stood up and walked over to the couch. 

I didn't move. She looked at me. "Come on, Ash." My heart jumped. It happened every time she called me 'Ash'. I walked over to the couch and sat down next to her, leaving some space in between us. I didn't know what would happen if I invaded her space. Girls were weird sometimes. 

She suddenly leaned over me. "What..."

"The remote is over here, silly," she explained, giving me a cute, innocent look. She grabbed the remote from the table next to the couch. I felt my cheeks heat up. I hated the fact that I blushed so easily. She sat back down and turned on the TV. Luckily, she didn't seem to notice my blushing. 

At least the lights were off...

The movie started and I sunk into the couch. I heard that this movie made everyone cry. Hopefully Ali didn't cry. I wouldn't know how to comfort her.

In the middle of the movie somewhere, I spotted Ali's phone perched on the arm of the sofa. 

Maybe I can add my phone number.

I reached over quietly and looked over at Ali. She was very tuned into the movie. I snatched the phone and hid the screen by my waist. I went to her contacts, typed in my name, then my phone number, and I turned off her phone. I silently put it back. I glanced at Ali, hoping she hadn't noticed.

She hadn't.

An hour into the movie, and Ali started crying. I sat there awkwardly as she cried silently. I could see why everyone cried. It was a sad movie.

The movie seemed to go on forever and Ali hadn't stopped crying. I felt stupid for not comforting her. 

I suddenly felt like comforting her in some way. And there was lots of things that went through my mind. But before I could even decide, instinct took over.

I grabbed her hand and intertwined our fingers. Then I started making comforting circles on her palm with my thumb. I kept my eyes on the screen, not wanting to meet her eyes.

I started to wonder if this was the right thing to do. I had a girlfriend after all. And there I was, holding another girl's hand. But, Ali was just a friend. And friend's hold each other's hands. Right?

But I didn't pull away because Ali stopped crying immediately. I side glanced to see what she was doing. She stared down at our intertwined hands. Suddenly, there was footsteps. We jumped away from each other. Ali started rubbing her hand unconsciously, and I looked towards the stairs. A woman was walking towards us in a bath robe and slippers.