Chapter Fifteen: Big Dipper

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

I looked quickly back at the stars, breaking Ashton's piercing gaze. I was getting so quickly lost in his blue eyes, they were as deep as the ocean itself. It wasn't smart. The image of a brick from my wall crashing, and shattering on the floor had flashed before my eyes. It was like I was there, watching it happen.

I wished I wasn't so stubborn about this sometimes. I wished I knew how to crash down my wall without fear and get lost in love. But it wasn't that easy.

"I can see the Big Dipper," Ashton said suddenly. I blinked and brought my attention back to the beautiful, starry sky above me. 

I searched the sky, but couldn't find the Big Dipper. "I don't see it."

Ashton took my hand and put out my pointer finger. He lifted my hand towards the sky, making my finger point towards the many stars shining in the darkness. He traced the outline of some stars, and I spotted it. The Big Dipper.

"See it now?" he asked as he pulled my hand back down. He laid it in the middle of our two bodies and intertwined our fingers. My hand immediately warmed up under his touch.

I gulped and nodded. Shoot. This was exactly what I was thinking about. But I didn't pull away. I didn't want to pull away. It was like a thick layer of glue held my hand to his, making it physically impossible to tear my hand away.

We lay there for a minute of stretched silence. Luckily, it wasn't awkward silence. I noticed how ever since that one night, the night he first held my hand, it was such a big deal. It was weird, and he was embarrassed about it. But he didn't seem the slightest bit embarrassed tonight. He took my hand as if it was something we had done forever. Except, it wasn't normal. It was far from normal.

But it felt totally normal somehow.

"Does your dad hate you for everything I've put you through in the past few days?" Ashton asked. I turned my head towards him. His eyes were trained on the stars.

I shook my head. "No. He hated me before you even came along. He's hated me ever since my mom left."

He turned towards me. His eyes were filled with sadness. "Ali, I'm so sorry about your dad. I wish I could help you somehow."

"You couldn't really help in anyway, Ash. Really. I live with Fiona now in Terra Lake, so I never have to deal with my dad's anger, so it's all good." I looked back at the sky. It was quiet for a second, the only noise being the faint music from the wedding and the waves crashing against the shoreline. 

"But, why would your dad hate you if you didn't do anything wrong? It's not your fault that your mom left." I looked back at him. He was looking at me.

"Trust me, I don't even know. I've wondered the exact same thing every time he yells at me. I think he may be taking his anger out on me. That's exactly why I'm glad that I live with the Reams."