Chapter Twenty-Five: The Want, The Need

Ashton's POV

Ashton's POV

I averted my gaze from hers. I was going crazy. Her beauty was pulling me in. Pulling me in too far.

The thing was, it was the perfect time to tell her. Tell her I liked her as more then just a friend. But here's the thing, there's the want, and there's the need.

For example, in this particular situation, I wanted so badly to tell her everything I felt for her, show her that I wanted to be more then just her friend.

But then there was the need: I needed to just keep it to myself for now. If she didn't feel the same about me, I would feel pretty stupid honestly. And it could possibly mess up our friendship, if she didn't feel the same. It could be constantly awkward between us, and I didn't want that.

I wasn't going to tell her that I liked her more then a friend, because of those reasons. But it was going to be hard. I was probably going to break down at some point and tell her despite all of my worries about the possible outcomes.

My thoughts were suddenly taken over by the girl I had totally forgotten about this past week.

"Abbie," I breathed aloud without realizing it.

"What?" Ali asked me softly. I turned towards her.

"Did I say something?" I asked quietly.

 "Ash, you said 'Abbie'." She stared straight into my eyes, her own eyes holding lots of questions.

I blinked. "I did?" I never meant to say it out loud. I knew Ali probably didn't like Abbie after that day at Caribou, even though she never mentioned it.

"Yes. You were spaced out too." She pulled her hand out of mine slowly and I immediately missed the feeling of her hand in mine. She looked down at her hands and twiddled her thumbs.

"Sorry. Ignore what I said," I told her. I didn't want our time in the restaurant to be taken over by a conversation about my girlfriend that I had totally forgotten about.

I was a horrible boyfriend.

But that was the thing. Abbie just wasn't the right girl. I never wanted to text her or hang out with her. Our dates mostly consisted of talk about her rich life.

But with Ali I felt differently. She was always different. Something deep down inside me wanted to treat her like the most special person in the world. Ever since the first day I saw her. I don't know why, I didn't know I could have feelings like that. But I did, and with Abbie, I didn't.

I didn't want to be a bad boyfriend to Abbie, but this other girl has taken over my mind 24/7. Every day, every hour. I couldn't help it.

Then I came to the only conclusion I could come to, one that I knew deep down, but had avoided: I needed to break up with Abbie after I got back. I wanted to.