Chapter Twenty: Explain

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

"We're home!" I called when Fiona and I came through the front door later that day.

"Hello, girls!" Mrs. Reams emerged from the kitchen. The amazing smell of cookies filled the living room. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, savoring the delicious smell.

"Cookies!" Fiona exclaimed. She reminded me of the 8-year-old Fiona.

"Aren't you going to greet your good ol' mom?" Mrs. Reams joked.

"Oh, right. Hi, Mom." Fiona turned back towards the kitchen and raced towards the cooling rack sitting on the counter full of double chocolate chip cookies.

My mouth started watering immediately. I went towards the counter and took a cookie for myself. I bit into it, and the sweet, decadent taste of chocolate filled my mouth. Plus, it was still warm.

"I'm going to go to our bedroom to start my homework," I told them. Fiona didn't answer because she was too busy with her cookie to even hear me.

"Okay, Ali. Have fun," Mrs. Reams said.

I nodded. "Oh, I will." I turned around and went upstairs to my bedroom. I closed the door and plopped down on my bed. I pulled out all of my homework and books before opening my binder.

Time to start homework.

Before I could even find my math homework, my phone buzzed. I picked it up and turned it on.

Ashton: Meet me at the cafe on 4th street?

I thought for a second about my reply. Did I want to go to a cafe with Ashton?

I decided on my reply.

Me: Sure.

Ashton: Like, right now?

It must be something very urgent. Okayyyy.

Me: Okay, okay. I'm on my way.

I got off my bed and totally screwed my homework. I grabbed my bag from the closet and ran downstairs.

"I'll be right back!" I called, and didn't wait for a reply. I pulled out the keys to my car and got in.

***

I spotted Ashton right away when I turned the corner towards the cafe. He was sitting at one of the tables by the window on his phone. I took a breath, not knowing what was coming my way, and opened the door.

I walked over towards the table he was seated at and sat down. He looked up from his phone. I expected him to grin or at least smile. But there was nothing.

"Hi," I said in a quiet voice. It was nice to not have to talk loudly to him like I would usually have to since school was the only time we saw each other, and you know how loud school can be.