Chapter Twenty-Eight: Please Call Me

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

I padded down the stairs quietly that night. I just couldn't sleep with everything going through my mind. I had felt so horrible after the kiss earlier, so horrible that I just laid in my bed the whole day, crying to myself.

But I couldn't have done anything differently. My only option was to push him away, to save myself and him. I would just end up hurting him because I was hurting myself by letting myself love again.

I went to the kitchen table and sat down quietly before pulling my phone from my hoodie pocket. I had five unread texts from Ashton. 

I took a breath and opened them.

(2:47 PM) Ash: Please call me, Alibear.

(3:23 PM) Ash: Please Al, I'm sorry.

(4:51 PM) Ash: I messed up.

(8:09 PM) Ash: Please, Ali. Answer my calls.

(12:28 AM) Ash: My life is too bland without you, Alibear. I mean, Aliana. I don't have the right to call you that. Please call me, I need to hear your voice.

A tear ran down my cheek as I read the last one as I replied.

Me: Call me.

I hastily wiped the tear away and sat my phone on my lap. I had never cried this much in such a short amount of time.

My phone rang on my lap and I picked it up. I waited a second before answering, wondering if this was the right thing to do. But I clicked 'answer' before I thought too much about it. I put the phone to my ear and gulped.

"Hi."

"Ali, I'm so glad you asked me to call you. I couldn't sleep. I just wanted to hear your voice," Ashton said.

I ran my fingers over the table as I spoke, my voice as quiet as a mouse. "Well, here's my voice."

He was silent for a second before he chuckled quietly. "Yeah." He paused. "So, I just wanted to say I was sorry. I messed up."

"Ash, you didn't do anything wrong," I answered right away, not wanting him to blame himself.

"Yes, I did," he said grudgingly.

I sighed through my nose before replying. "No, you didn't."

"How?" he whispered. I wanted to just jump through the phone and hug him but I was here and he may have just as well have been a million miles away. He sounded so broken. I probably sounded equally broken.

"Because I'm the one who pushed you away. I'm the one who is too stubborn to realize that kissing you was the most amazing thing I had ever done. I'm the one who should've stayed there with you, indulging every second of your affection, but I was, and still am, too stuck on the idea that in time, I'm going to be hurt. And, the more I feel for you, the worse it will be." I took a breath.