Chapter Forty-Three: Broken Apart, In More Ways Than One

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

"I need to talk to you," Ashton and I said at the same time. He closed his eyes and put out a hand, signaling me to let him speak first. I didn't want him to talk first, I was furious with him, but I stayed silent.

"Why was Tyler telling me all of this stuff all day about you not wanting to be seen with me anymore, and the fact that you regret letting me in, letting our relationship begin?"

I stared at him, a lump forming in my throat with the upcoming tears. "Are you kidding me?" I put my pointer finger on his chest. "You're the one that regrets it all. You're the one that doesn't want to be seen with me at school. So cut the crap and just admit it." I blew out an angry breath. He opened his mouth to say something, but I shook my head, silently telling him to just keep his mouth shut. "This is exactly why I don't let boys into my life, because this happens."

"Ali-"

I cut him off. "No, stop. They all do the same thing. They start dating me, then two days later, they realize that I'm not worth their time. It's the same thing every. Single. Time. You pushed me. You told me that I could trust you!" My voice cracked, but I kept going. "I trusted you, Ashton. I trusted you with everything I had. You showed me that you weren't a player like everyone else. You broke my trust." My voice rose. "You broke my fucking trust, Ashton!"

"Ali, please, just listen," he pleaded. His eyes were filled with anger, hurt. 

"No, I'm not going to listen to you. Tyler said that I didn't want to be seen with you, that I regretted everything, but he was lying. You obviously weren't. You said it all to him, and I know it. I'm going to be forever alone, and I'm going to deal with it. I don't need a boy in my life anymore. I'm done!" I threw my hands up in the air, giving up, giving up Ashton, giving up the only boy that I had ever trusted. "It's over."

"Ali, please. Just listen-" I couldn't hear the rest of what he said, because I whirled around before he could finish. I gripped the straps of my backpack and let the tears stream down my cheeks. My body felt heavy, weighed down by sadness and regret. 

How could I let Ashton in like that? I shouldn't have trusted him at all. He was just like everyone else. I said I loved him, for God's sake. But he broke me apart, just like all of those other boys had. I thought he was the guy for me, I thought he was different, but I was wrong.

"Ali, slow down!" I turned around to see Fiona and Zora rushing towards me. They took one look at my tear-streaked face before engulfing me in a big hug. I cried into their chests, letting all of my sadness out with my tears. 

Zora stroked my hair and whispered into my ear, "We're here for you, just like we have been every other time. You have us." That made me sob harder. Sure, I had just broken up with my boyfriend after finding out what he really thought of me, but I had some amazing friends by my side, no matter what.