13

Ady's POV

Frantically attempting to reach Evo for the past 10 minutes, frustration seeped through my words, "What the heck, she didn't answer again."

"Calm down, it'll be okay. Maybe she just needs time to think; she'll be here later," Dave reassured. I halted the calls, anxiously awaiting her return.

Moments later, an unknown number lit up my phone. Answering with a sense of unease, I queried, "Hello?"

"Is this Ady Ramirez?" a stern voice questioned.

"Yes, what's the problem?"

"This is Police Senior Inspector Emman Gomez."

"How can I help you?" I asked.

"Your friend Evo got into a crash," he revealed.

"Shit! What? Where is she?" I panicked.

"She's in St. Elizabeth Medical Hospital," he stated.

"Okay, we're coming," I nervously replied.

-

Apprehension gripped me; I couldn't shake the thought of my best friend in an accident. "Dave, wake up!" I exclaimed, shaking him awake.

"What's your dilemma?" he grumbled.

"We need to go to the hospital; Evo got into an accident," I choked on the verge of tears. He snapped to attention, grabbing his things as we rushed to the waiting vehicle.

timeskip

Arriving at the hospital, I sprinted inside, Dave following. At the nurse's station, I anxiously inquired about Evo's room.

"The room of Evo, please, Evo Acosta," I pleaded.

"The girl who got into an accident," Dave added.

"In surgery now, ma'am. You'll have to wait in the lobby; it'll end in an hour," the nurse explained.

Both of us waited, nerves escalating. Police officers approached. "Are you Ady Ramirez?" one asked.

"Yes, I am, and this is Dave, one of Evo's friends," I introduced.

"We're Evo's best friends," Dave added.

The officer explained Evo's emergency contact situation. "Can I ask a question?" he implored.

"Yeah."

"Why was she in a gown when driving, eyes swollen?" he questioned.

"Today was supposed to be her wedding day. Her fiancé ran away, and she was distraught. Minutes later, she left to think, and we got the call about the accident," I explained.

"Thanks, that's all I needed to hear," the officer concluded.

"By the way, these are her things from the car," he added, passing Evo's purse.

Dave's POV

After the police left, Ady and I anxiously awaited the end of the surgical operation. The emergency door swung open, revealing doctors. One approached us.

"Dave and Ady?" she asked.

"Yes," we replied.

"You're Evo's best friends, right?" she confirmed.

Evo was still in a coma, and the doctor informed us about the breakup and the baby's safety. "When she wakes up, don't expect her to be herself," the doctor warned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The impact on her head might lead to memory loss—she might have amnesia," the doctor revealed.

"Amnesia?" Ady questioned.

"It's a condition where the person loses memories; it could last 3-5 years. We can't force her to remember, just pray she recollects when she wakes up," the doctor reassured us.