Night Changes | Joe Liebgott

"Okay okay," Aggie came into the living room seeing her husband playing with the three kids.
"Bedtime," she clasped her hands together and looked at them.

"But mommy," Ollie whined and looked up from where he was fake beating up Joe.

"Your mom's right it's getting late," Joe smiled getting up and picked up Ollie.

"I want uppies too!" Vera pouted standing at her mothers' feet.

"Okay but what about Veronica I'm sure she wants to be carried to bed." Aggie sighed trying to compromise with four-year-old twins.

"Aggie I got it I can carry Ollie and Veronica if you get Vera," Joe smirked and kissed Aggie's cheek as he picked up Veronica.
Vera smiled as Aggie picked her up holding her on her hip.

"You're getting big there," she giggled and kissed Vera's forehead.
Joe nodded as she followed them up the stairs and to the kids' rooms. By popular demand by Veronica and Vera, they shared a room. Even if they had enough rooms to have their own.
Joe giggled and set his kids down and tickled them.

"Hey remember it's bedtime Joe," Aggie crossed her arms playfully.

"Oh come on," Joe came and swooped up his wife in a hug spinning her around.
She smiled and kissed Joe's forehead.

"I'm gonna tuck in the twins first and read them a story then we can switch." Joe sighed and kissed his wife's cheek. She nodded in agreement and walked to Ollies room.

"Okay, Wanna pick out your pajamas?" She asked him.

"Mhm!" The dark-haired little boy got up and walked to his dresser and pulled out a shirt and bottoms. Aggie helped him change then got him laid down.
She sat next to him on her bed and smiled.

"You look just like your dad," Aggie smiled picking up the story he picked out for her to read to him.

She pushed the hair out of Ollies' face as they both waited for Joe to switch.
"Do you love daddy?" Ollie asked out of nowhere.

"Of course I do pumpkin," she smiled and kissed Ollie's forehead.

"When did you know ya' loved him?" He giggled. Aggie sighed thinking back on the memory.

"Your dad had just came back from the war after it ended. He had left me for the war two years after high school. We kept in touch by writing letters, I was infatuated with him he was my favorite person."
She smiled.

"Mhm?" Ollie smiled.

"So when he got back we hugged and cried into each other we hadn't seen each other in three years or more. I waited for him, he was the love of my life. I think that's when I knew what love was and I loved your dad." Aggie smiled, Joe stood in the doorway listening to her go on.

"Okay, the girls are waiting," Joe kissed her neck gently as she picked up Ollies' story.

"Okay, I'll see you in the bedroom," Aggie winked at her beloved husband. She walked into the twins' bedroom and smiled.

"Did daddy tuck you guys in already or do you need to be tucked in again?" Aggie smiled looking at Vera and Veronica.

"Daddy tucked us in! Can you read us a story though?" Vera asked.

"Mhm, did you guys pick one out?" She smiled looking at them. Veronica nodded and pointed to the book on the nightstand. Aggie picked it up and pulled a chair over in between their beds.

Aggie smiled as she finished the story and Veronica was sleeping. She got up and put the chair back.
She gently brushed Veras brown hair out of her face and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Get to bed Sweet Pea," Aggie smiled as her beloved daughter and pulled the lamp string. She walked down the hall and saw Joe asleep in Ollie's bed. Ollie was cuddled into him as they both must have fallen asleep during storytime.

Aggie took a deep breath and went to her and Joe's room. where she washed her face and changed into one of Joe's shirts and pair of sleeping shirts.
She sat down on her side of the bed and pulling out her poetry book. She flipped on her lamp and read quietly.

About an hour later Joe rubbed his forehead as he walked into their bedroom.

"Hey sweetheart," he smiled as Aggie was still up reading. He changed out of his work clothes and laid next to her.

"Hey handsome," she smiled and put her book aside. She pushed Joe's messy hair out of his face.

"You're so gorgeous," Joe kissed her cheek and down her neck.

"Joe I'm too tired for this," she giggled.

"Goodnight beautiful," Joe smiled pulling the lamp off and cuddling into her.

"Goodnight Joe," she hummed as Joe pressed himself into her back.