Day Four: Ghost of You

Today's prompt: Character A realizes that dead doesn't mean gone, officially.
C/W: murder, blood, major character death, and period typical homophobia.

Joe was finally out of the hospital and him and George had it in stone that they were going to run away together and get married in secret

He hadn't been so excited for a day in his life. Even if he felt like his life had been flipped upside down and he was scared George wouldn't love him anymore.

Joe had showed up at the train station with a small bag of clothes and money to start their lives. He had plans that George would meet him by noon and they were gonna start their life together.
Joe find a bench in the station to sit on and laid his crutches on the ground.

Hour and hour passed till Joe realized it was three and George still wasn't there. He felt his stomach drop, what if he got cold feet? No, George wouldn't do that.

Maybe he got distracted? Stopped to grab some groceries or snacks? Probably that he knew that George was a talker and would talk to about anyone who listened. Including poor Rhonda at the local grocery store while checking him out.

He would stay a few hours longer, maybe he got the days confused and he would come tomorrow?
By nine pm Joe had been there for more than half the day and he was growing increasingly worried.
So he decided he would come go check George's apartment just in case.

It was probably just a big mix up, right? George would be there then they would laugh about it.

Joe went up the elevator to George's floor and down to his apartment. He messed with his keys and pulled the spare key George had given him. He came in and shut the door, "Georgie? Did you get the days confused?" Joe could feel a weird energy in the air as he came in.
There was no response and Joe frowned going in further.

"George?" Joe called out again. As George rounded the corner into his living room he almost fell to the ground.

There his boyfriend laid a gun shot wound in the head and blood all over the floor.
Joes heart started beating louder and louder and faster and faster.

He instantly knew who had done this, George's cousin had found out they were together.
He hadn't taken it well and berated George calling him slurs and verbally attacking him.

Joe could feel the angst and sadness building up.

"George, no." Joe fell to his knee and gently felt his neck for a pulse. He was very obviously dead.

"Im gonna kill that fucking bastard." George spat to himself.

"No you can't do that, Then he wins." George rested his hand on Joes shoulder as he spoke to him, "Then they will just jail you and frame it on you. Delinquent homosexuals."

Joe stood up with a struggle. There he stood cloudier and slightly transparent. The love of his life.

"I'm going to help you, help the police catch him." George squeezed Joe's hand.