We Healed Each Other | Luztoye

C/W: major character death.

It couldn't get any worse than this.
Was what Joe Toye was thinking when he woke up from anesthetic's. His friend Bill was there, he waited the whole time with Joes mom.
He had heard about career ending injuries when it came to football. But he never thought of this one was so severe.
From a little below his knee was gone. Because of a stupid car crash.
He cried and wept into the hospital pillow when he came to full realization.
He was just 17, just a senior in high school ready to go on his full ride scholarship to UWM.

George's dreams were crushed the beginning of his junior year. He had nicked himself shaving and next thing he knew he wouldn't stop bleeding.
His mom took him to the ER after about two hours.
Then after further examination George was diagnosed with Lymphoma.
All of his friends were optimistic at first, hell even he was.
Then it went on, the treatments stopped working, he started to get sicker, now he was living out the rest of his life in a hospital. Trying to preserve him until his last breath.

George hummed to himself as he made his rounds visiting his favorite nurses at their stations.
He had ahold of his IV pole as his vans made a soft patter against the tiled floor.
He was pulled from his thoughts as a boy backed out of the room pulling a wheelchair. The person in the wheelchair basically throwing a fit.

"Bill I do not want to go outside!" Joe protested as George stood there and watched the scene unfold.

"Like it or not Joe the vitamin C or whatever the fuck it is, is going to make you feel better." Bill argued back.

"Yeah well you don't get it!" Joe snapped back at him.

"Actually I do, do yeah forget we match now?" Bill huffed. George shook his head deciding he had, had enough of that and returned to his room.

He sat on the small couch in the room that Babe had pimped out for him. Well actually his whole room.
Babe was George's best friend and when he heard he was going to be spending; potentially the rest of his life here. Babe had to do some decorating.
He had strung up lights and got some cool blankets for the couch and George's bed. Put up a tapestry and some pictures of them and their friends.
George laid back and rubbed his eyes gingerly.
He heard a knock on the door and he looked up.
A ginger boy skipped into the room and George smiled.

"Hey Babe," he sat up.

"Did you see the hunk out there?" Babe pointed towards the door.

"If you're talking about Doc Roe don't even start again. He's just trying to do his residency and you're all over him!" George huffed with a smile.

"No, well yes Gene, but the other one! The one with the black hair." Babe hummed as he fidgeted with George's bracelets.

"Oh yeah, I saw him earlier but he won't be here long." He shrugged, George sighed and turned so he could see out over Philly.

Babe sat and chatted with his best friend for awhile before his mom was texting him he should be home soon. That dinner was almost done and George needed plenty of rest.
George always denied that, that he'd sleep when he's dead.

So there he had his nasty hospital food dinner by himself while re-watching some shitty Netflix original show on his laptop.
He took his meds on time and tried to fall asleep by 10:30.
But his thoughts consumed his brain.
He felt like he'd been lying there for only 15 minutes but when he checked his phone it was two hours later.
George sighed and decided he'd take a walk. Clear his brain of some thoughts. Some not so nice thoughts. He stood up off his bed and slipped on his hoodie and vans. Then grabbed his beanie off of the side table and pulled it over his head.
He walked to his door quiet to not make much sound to alert the nurses. He peaked his head out to make sure it was just the one new nurse on her night shift.
It was easy to slip past her.