It's Not Living If It's Not With You-Baberoe

Babe sat at the table of Bill and Frannies bar. He checked his watch and saw that his date was 10 minutes late. The red head's leg bounced under the table nervously.
"Is he gonna come?" Frannie walked over to the table.

"I hope," Babe sighed, "I'm going to be done dating for real if he doesn't show."

Babe had nothing but a sad dating life. Everything being a one night stand or getting stood up. Babe hadn't had a steady relationship since high school and that's just embarrassing.

"We'll just tell me if you need anything darling." Frannie grabbed Babes cup and filled it back up with the sprite he was sipping on. The woman with shoulder length brown hair walked back over to the bar.
Babe pulled out his phone as he was about to give up hope and just accept he got stood up.

"Are you Edward?" He heard a strong voice. Babe looked up and saw the pale man with the dark almost black looking hair spoke to him.

"Oh yeah, you must be Gene?" Babe tried to swallow away his blushing.

"Yep," Gene smiled and sat down across from him and shook his hand, "Things got a little crazy and my babysitter called in sick. So I had to take the little one."

In the many texts Gene and Babe had sent over tinder he had found out that Gene had full custody of a child from a previous marriage. Babe never pried at Pandora's box. "It's okay," Babe smiled, "Do you want anything to drink or eat? This is my best friend's bar and the stuff here is really good."

"I'll just have a beer for now." Gene smiled.

"Okay I'll be right back," Babe got up and walked over to the bar.
"He's a looker there Babe," Bill smiled.

"That's what I was thinking too, can I get a pitcher of beer and a mai tai please." Babe smirked.

"Yeah, I'll bring it to ya." Bill nodded, "Don't scare this one off Babe."

"Don't plan on it," Babe walked back to the table, "My buddy Bill is gonna bring us the drinks."

"Okay," Gene nodded, "How was your day?"

"Well I've been here all day, I usually work the bar." Babe pointed towards it.

"Nice," Gene nodded.

"How was your day?" Babe asked, crossing his legs under the table nervously.

"It was okay. Céléna didn't want to go down for a nap earlier but she eventually fell asleep. She's with my friend's and their kids right now for the night." Gene shrugged.

"I got those drinks," Bill carried it over. He set the Mai Tai in front of Babe and filled Gene's glass up with beer, "Just holler' if ya need more."

"Thank's Bill," Babe waved to his friend, "So you said you were from Louisiana. How do you like the Philly weather?"

"Oh it's a lot different but it's nice to get the four seasons here." Gene nodded.

"What brought you up to Philly," Babe leaned forward in his seat. Gene looked down and clicked his tongue. Gene started bouncing his leg and he tapped the rim of his glass with his finger.

"Uhm. My wife, well now ex wife, died and I just didn't want to keep living in the house. So the hospital we were working for offered me a promotion to be the head ER surgeon at Roxborough Memorial." Gene nodded and took a long swig of his beer.

"Shit, Gene I'm really sorry for asking. I'm sorry for your loss..." Babe ran his hands down his face knowing he fucked up big time with this one. He definitely wasn't going to recover from the embarrassment and he'd never hear the end of it from Bill. He should already pull out his wallet to cover the whole check as Gene probably wanted to leave.

"No, no it's okay Edward. I swear." Gene smiled and reached over holding Babe's hand to comfort him. Gene could see the pain and embarrassment spewing from Babe's pours.
Babe's face was about as red as his hair and he chewed on his lip.

"If you wanna go I understand I'll pay for your drinks." Babe started to babble on.

"No, Edward, shhh. You're okay, I'm not mad at you." Gene was almost laughing at how embarrassed Babe was.

"Are you sure?" Babe looked up at the raven haired man. Gene nodded and squeezed Babe's hand.

"Yes, now who do I order some fries from?" Gene offered a kind smile to Babe.

"Bill! Get us some fries!" Babe looked over at the bar and waved to Bill.

"Okay!" Bill yelled back and ducked into the kitchen.

     "Fuck," Babe whined as Gene kissed the taller mans neck and nibbled at it. Babe was pressed against the door to Gene's apartment. Babe recognized this apartment building as a newer installment from the past 10 years. It was in the more wealthier part of Philly.
Gene fumbled his keys and got the door open sending both of them tumbling in.
"I gotta take a leak quickly." Gene spoke and walked down the hall, "Please take your shoes off I just cleaned the floors!"

Babe kicked off his shoes and started poking around the apartment. There was a box of children's toys tucked under the coffee table in a wicker box. Then Babe started looking at the pictures on the wall.
Most featured a woman with long blonde hair in two braids standing next to Gene and either of them holding who Babe assumed was Céléna.
She looked just like Gene, she had Gene's blue eyes, his dark black hair, and his smile.
He walked around looking at the other things. On a small table under a shelf he recognized a pagan altar. Similar to the one George had in his living room, George was a little into witchcraft but Gene seemed full out. He had a shelf of crystals, another shelf of books, he had some other things but it was cool.

"My grandmother was the healer of our town. She used her pagan beliefs and healed people with remedies and crystals." Gene spoke, scaring the shit out of Babe.

"Fuck!" Babe jumped, Gene wrapped his arms around his waist and kissed Babe's cheek.

"Why don't we continue back to what we were doing?" Gene whispered into Babe's ear. Babe nodded and followed Gene to his room.

    Babe woke up in Gene's bed and smiled to himself rolling over and snuggling into Gene's pillow. Smelling the smell of Gene's cologne, Babe hoped Gene didn't get called into work.
Then he smelt the bacon and crawled out of bed, he grabbed a pair of sweats off of Gene's floor and tugged on the primary colored shirt he was wearing last night.
He wandered out of his room and towards the kitchen.

"Hi!" the small child came running down the hallway. She had an accent that sounded similar to Gene's with a hint of a french accent.

"Oh uh hello?" Babe was distraught by the sudden appearance of Céléna.

"Sorry this is my daughter Céléna, my friend dropped her off this morning. Céléna, this is my friend Edward. He spent the night last night." Gene put his hands on her shoulders.

"But he slept in your bed daddy?" Céléna looked up at Gene.

"He's uh, a really close friend, why don't you go sit at the table and I'll make you a plate." Gene let go of Céléna's shoulders.

"Okay!" she dashed off to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry about her, she's just really curious and she doesn't fully understand that Renee's dead." Gene sighed looking down.

"Gene it's okay I'll go at whatever speed you need to go." Babe took his hand and rubbed the top of his hand with his thumb.

"Okay," Gene nodded.

"Okay," Babe smiled and they shared a quick kiss before Céléna got any more impatient than she already was. Babe could totally do this everyday for the rest of his life.