dodici

◇unedited◇

"Lena." I stopped dead on my track as I heard someone called my name and there was only one person who called me by that name.

I turned my head to the side to see a car had stopped beside me. The backseat window rolled down and there was only one occupant. The lady of the house.

"Mrs. Nicoli." I greeted her politely and I watched her got out of the car. As soon as she was out of the car, she hugged me which caught me off guard. I awkwardly just stood in her embrace.

"Why are you going this way? Your house is in the other way." She said so casually. She held both of my hands in hers as she looked at me with that smiley face.

My house? What is she talking about?

"I'm on my way home, Mrs. Nicoli," I replied firmly.

"Psst, don't call me Mrs. Nicoli. You are one too. Call me mom or mother or madre, whichever you're comfortable with." She said and that smile on her face just never faded.

I didn't answer her, I just kept on listening.

"Let's have lunch together. I was on my way to visit James, but he can wait. Let me have lunch with my daughter for once." She pleaded and she showed me a hopeful look. I could refuse to her, but seeing her looked so hopeful towards me made it hard for me to let her down.

"But I couldn't stay for long." I agreed for a short while.

"Of course. Come on, I would want to know about my daughter more. And there's a lot that I need to tell you." In the end, she could be serious. She let me got in first and then she followed.

I didn't know where we are going, but I just sat quietly beside her.

The car stopped in front of a diner which was the first time I saw this diner. It was quite a journey from the house.

We both got out of the car and I followed her into the diner. It's a regular diner and nothing fancy. I am glad for that despite the title she carried.

Veronica chose a booth seat at the back. Privacy.

"I usually came here for some privacy. This diner has such a comforting taste, doesn't it?" Veronica asked as she looked around the diner, showing me what she meant.

"It is." I agreed. "Can I just ask what do you need to talk about? I'm so sorry, but I really can't stay for too long." I said to her. I wanted her to understand that I have to go home.

"And I'm here to have a casual conversation with you." I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Mrs. Nicoli, we might have a different thought on why I left. So, if you're wondering, it's not because of your husband." I told her because I knew she was worried about that.

"But it was partly his fault. That day, he knew about you, but I wasn't. He told me when we got back home, he told me everything. I wanted to apologize for his behavior. He was such a heartless father, to James and you, to Vincenzio even. If I knew, I would prevent him to say those awful things to you." She said in so much regret.

"There's nothing to be undone and what's done is done, Mrs. Nicoli." I didn't want her to feel regretful towards me. She did nothing wrong.

"You've been with him for that long, Lena. Please, don't leave again. He needs you." She pleaded and it hurt my heart seeing a mother begged for her son.

"How could I, Mrs. Nicoli? He's getting married soon. So, I'm here to let him free and make everything go smoothly." She shook her head at my words, still not accepting my decision.

"You don't understand, Lena. He doesn't have to marry her. She was just a diversion and we can cancel the wedding before it happens. Vincenzio and Blake made the deal and James was just doing it, for you. He did it so you will be safe. Please, try to reconsider before making a decision."

I stayed silent, couldn't give her the answer she wanted to hear.

-

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I saw him sitting on the porch by himself. Like I said yesterday, I would come back here to continue our talk. So, I did. But to my surprised, James was sitting by himself like he was waiting.

"Waiting for you." He replied and made no move to get up. The sun is already rising, but it's not too blazing.

"Get up. Let's get inside." I told him. I have walked up to the porch and stopped beside him, waiting for him to get up. But, he kept still. "Are you not curious about what I wanted to talk to you about?" I asked, looking at the back of his head. He looked so down and have no intention to live on the day ahead.

He shook his head lifelessly.

"Then I'll cook breakfast for you. You haven't eaten, have you?" I tried to coax him to get up from the floor and made our way inside.

I grabbed his arm and persistently pushed him up. Well, he eventually got up from the floor. So, we walked into the house and to the kitchen where I promised him to cook for breakfast.

I made him an omelet and made sure he ate them all before we got into the conversation I intended to talk about yesterday. After meeting his mother, I reconsidered what I need to talk to him about.

James got off the chair and stood in front of me. He cupped my face and looked at me intensely.

"You can't leave me." He said. Our eyes stared into each other's and I let this moment last as long as it can.

Looking at those brown eyes reminding me of the first time I saw him. Dullness and lifelessness in his eyes bear so much pain in them. I wetted my lips, ready to talk.

"I have to, James. You can't be married to two women at the same time. I don't want it that way." I grabbed his hand which cupped my face and held it firmly.

"I won't marry her!" He objected.

"You have to. Because you need to help her achieve what she is supposed to get from your deal." If he didn't succeed in stopping the person who wanted to kill me, I might not be standing in front of him right now, alive and breathing.

"Will you stay?"

"Of course." After all, I would be working here.

"I don't want a divorce." He suddenly stated. I sighed, this would be just going around and around. "I don't want to lose you again, baby." He said broken heartedly.

"You have been living without me for almost three years, James."

"And it nearly kills me. Are you going to kill me twice?"

"James..." I pulled him into my arms and hugged him tightly. My heart ached so much for him and myself.

 My heart ached so much for him and myself