trentacinque

◇unedited

Jamee's P.O.V

"I'm worried, Jamee. What took you so long?" He asked and his voice laced in concern. His arms wrapped tightly around my body, letting me know that he was worried.

"I'm sorry, I got lost," I replied tiredly. I was not lost on my way home, I was lost in my world at the orphanage I came from. There were new kids since the last time I was there and I played with them for some time.

"I'm moving in." That statement made us break apart. I looked at her like she was just bluffing. What was she talking about now?

"Says who?" James' hard tone made me realize that it was not him who invited her in. She let herself in as she owned it. He glared at her with the deadliest eyes.

"Says me, your wife."

"You think I'm going to let you into my house and have that fortune you're after? Look at you, this is how you act when you don't get what you want? Such a little princess, isn't she? Now, she's afraid that her crown would be handed down to the more rightful owner." James mocked her and her face red as a devil.

"If you don't value your life anymore, you are welcome to come in. Don't expect to come out by walking." He pulled me in towards the house and left the door open as an inviting temptation.

"What's with the commotion outside, James?" Veronica's voice was heard and followed by her appearance. She was now carrying my baby who looked like she just woke up. I missed her so much. "Jamee, you're back." She happily said and approached me.

"I am." I moved to take Fiorelli from her arms and after she handed her to me, I kissed her all over the face.

"Mama, no." She chuckled and her head curled up in amusement. "Miss you," she pouted.

"I miss my sweet girl too. Did you have fun with Papa today?" I asked her to avoid getting emotional. This was the first time I ever left her for that long, almost a day like twenty-four hours.

"Papa no," she shook her head and snuggled to my chest. I frowned and looked at James, silently asking what she meant.

"What? I play with her. It's just ... mother help me taking care of her." He shrugged and I could see that he was nervous. He still couldn't be left alone with her, he just doesn't know how to take care of her yet. He still needed to get used to it.

"It's okay, baby. Papa is trying, grandmother takes care of you well, isn't she?" I smiled.

"Nana, I'd like to be called Nana," Veronica said and I looked at her still with the smile on my face.

"Of course, whatever you will be comfortable with. Can I talk to you for a moment?" There was something that I wanted to talk to her about my mother. She called me Lena and I just discovered that my mother's name was Lena just like how he called me yesterday.

Father, such a strange figure in my life.

"Sure. Come here, child." Veronica warmly gestured me to come along with her. There were not many moments of us sitting together and talking, but one of those moments that I enjoyed.

I handed Fiorelli to James and come to Veronica. I wanted to have some privacy while talking to her.

"You wanted to ask about Lena, aren't you?" Veronica guessed as I took a seat next to her on the chair in the terraced backyard. Our favorite place to sit and talk.

"Yes, I am. I don't remember her nor do I know about her, Veronica. As far as I remember, I lived in an orphanage." I told her as I was trying to put pieces together about my birth mother.

"Your mother, Lena, she was the sweetest and loving. She loved your father dearly to the point where she couldn't handle it anymore. But nobody knows about that until your father discovered her disappearance. I, as her best friend, didn't even care enough to know about that. As long as I know, her smile meant happiness." Veronica began to speak. There was a longing look all over her face. She must have missed her too.

"Little did I know, behind those smiles hides more pain than we realized. Not even your father knew about it. But only him who knew that they were having a baby." She continued.

"Suzy?"

"She is your half-sister. From what my husband told me, he had her from a one-night stand. The mother was somewhere he didn't bother to look for." She explained what she know about Suzy Blakemore.

"I would never know that she had a baby and you are the child. Me, calling you Lena was just pure coincidence." She put her hand on top of mine in assurance. "Don't leave again, Lena. You need to be here for everyone's sake."

"Face her and claim the thorn which is rightfully yours. Suzy has bad intentions, Lena. Your father might not deserve you but he deserves to know you once before he's gone. His condition is not good anymore." Her eyes looked at me like she was pleading to her child to understand her if she was in his position.

I bit my lower lip in consideration. I saw how Suzy treated him, she didn't even care about him. She only cared for money and herself.

"I'll leave you to think about it." She got up from the chair and get back inside.

I let out a sigh and leaned back on the chair.

He was not in a good condition, he had a heart attack. He might not live long enough for me to get to know him, my family.

"Baby," I looked up and found him standing in front of me with Fiorelli. He sat her down on my lap as he took a seat on the empty chair. "Are you okay?"

"How far do you think she will go for an empire?" He might know a little bit about their deal even if he doesn't want to acknowledge them.

"I don't know, Jamee. But from what I heard here and there, she is a snake."

"But snakes don't bite unless they feel threatened." He nodded at what I said. Then, should I pursue it or not?

 Then, should I pursue it or not?