quaranta

◇unedited

I was awakened by a ruffling beside me, it was not from Fiorelli's side but his side. I sleepily turned my head to the side and saw James stashing in his sleep. A frown made its way to my forehead.

"James," I touched his chest in a way of waking him up softly and not shock him. "Hey." I patted his cheek this time and his eyes shot open.

His panicked eyes searching for mine until they landed on them, he slowly calmed down. Closing his eyes for a brief moment, he let out a sigh and then sat up. I followed his move and rubbed his back in a comforting way.

"Did you have a bad dream?" I asked while keeping on rubbing his back. He nodded in response.

"I'll be right back," he got up from the bed and walk out of the room without a glance at me or another word. Why does he behave so strangely? Was it a nightmare?

I decided to get up as well and leave Fiorelli surrounded by many pillows. He said he was going to the kitchen, so I make my way to the kitchen where he was supposed to be. He didn't lie, he was there with a glass of water in his hand.

He looked up at me when he saw me approaching.

"Is everything okay?" I asked again to make sure that nothing bothered him. I would listen to him if he had something to talk about, especially about his dream. He seemed a little bit shaken off. "You said to always talk. So, talk to me."

Once I stood in front of him, he put the glass down.

"Come here." He reach out to grabbed me and then wrapped his arms around my body, he engulfed me. "It's just a bad dream, I wouldn't want any one of you to get hurt because it kills me."

He held me so firmly like being close to each other was his assurance.

"I trust you to keep us safe," I spoke lightly over his shoulder. I felt him nod and there was nothing I want but to assure him that we were here.

"I don't want to disappoint you," he murmured.

"You won't."

He sighed and after a moment, he pulled away. "Mi dispiace di averti deluso. Davvero, vorrei essere abbastanza coraggioso da affrontare il nostro problema." He held my face with both of his hands and looked at me seriously.
(I am sorry that I disappointed you. Really, I wish I was brave enough to face our own problem)

Slowly, he leaned in and captured my lips on his. My eyes closed as soon as his lips touched mine and we moved blissfully slow, savoring the moment. I held onto his back as he hold me close to his liking.

"I didn't regret leaving you, James. It opened my eyes to a new way of living. It was great while it lasts." I told.

"I'm glad to hear that. I wouldn't want you to suffer. It was depressing enough you were gone. You lived so well among the people." He caressed my cheek as he stared out longingly. I still could see the sadness in his eyes that he didn't bother to hide.

"I want to tell you something but I'll tell you another time. I met someone." I told him and he snapped his eyes to mine immediately. He stared even harder when I just told him that.

"What someone?" He asked in a hard tone.

"I told you I will tell you another time, we have to go back to bed now." I caressed his nape with a soft look in my eyes.

"No, that's not enough, Jamee. You told me you've met someone, is it a guy or a woman?" He emphasized the last word weighing the option.

"A guy." I smiled wickedly and slipped out of his arms then I walked away to come back to the bedroom.

"Jamee ...," I heard him frustratedly call my name.

I quickly got in bed again and hugged my daughter. He wouldn't try to ask for more explanation when I'm being like this, he doesn't want to bother Fiorelli. So it was my safe way of getting away

I feel the bed dip and his body heat radiated over to me. "I won't stop. Better start talking when I ask you to." His low whisper made me shudder but I felt his warm lips against my skin. It felt so good and comforting to me.

"Hmm ...,"

-

The next morning I woke up, he was still sleeping but Fiorelli was awake. I gently brushed her hair and that make her look at me.

"Mama," she smiled while greeting me.

"My sweet girl, how long have you been awake?" I asked but she only laugh as she got caught. I couldn't help but to let out a chuckle at how adorable she was being.

"Papa sleep?" Her eyes looked through me to where James was peacefully asleep.

"Papa sleep," I confirmed. "Should we go to the bathroom now? Give you a bath?" I asked excitedly so she would too.

"Bubbles?" I nodded at her excitement.

"Let's have a bubble bath." I sat up and brought her up as well. It was a relief that James didn't hold on to me, so I could get up easily.

After I finished bathing her, I put her in a robe, wrapping her like a spring roll. She just looked so cute. I put her on the bed beside her sleeping father while I go and grab her clothes.

"My sweet, what are you doing?" I chuckled as I saw her when coming back after getting the clothes.

James had his arm wrapped around her tiny body and it almost made my daughter disappear. But there was no sign of discomfort in her face, she quite enjoyed it. The attention she got from her father.

"James, let her go. She needs to be clothed." I tried to get Fiorelli back by prying his arm off but fail. He was so strong and wouldn't want to let go.

"No, baby. Papa needs his sweet." He kissed all over her face making her giggle.

"Mama hewlp," she asked for help while keep on giggling.

I smiled while admiring the father and daughter moment in the morning. How pleasant to see.

 How pleasant to see