ventinove

◇unedited

Both of them fell asleep, that was so weird to see. But I couldn't complain, they were my life.

His mother came earlier than expected and got me wary. First off, Fiorelli slept in James' room upstairs and secondly, James was still sleeping with her.

"Nicholas, first-hand notice would be nice." I smiled tightly at him and sent him a sign about Fiorelli being in the house while Veronica got out of the car.

"Lena, leave the poor guy alone." Veronica stepped out of the car and squeezed the end of my shoulder lightly.

"I should have prepared something by now, but you came a little early." I gestured of how little I meant.

"It won't be a problem, I'll be happy to spend more time with you and James." Her smile was just making me feel bad about coming early than expected. Well, I could have been prepared and moved everything in place.

"Come in." I invited her in and Nicholas shot me an apologetic smile before we walked away. "I'll wake James up, he's taking a nap."

"Why? Is he sick?" Her eyebrows furrowed together. "I'll go check on him then." She said and I panicked in a second.

"No." I objected, a little bit too strong for my liking. "He's all right, just taking a nap. He was just very tired, he said." I nodded to convince her.

"Oh, that's good. I thought something happened to him. I almost got worried sick for nothing." She put her hand on her chest, feeling worried. Maybe, after all, her visit was about James going missing on them.

"He likes to get everyone worried, didn't he?" She chuckled and went to the living room to have a seat.

"Sometimes." I agreed.

"Come here, Lena. This would be our second time having a conversation just the both of us. I have so much to fill you in about James and what he had been through. Would you mind listening to this lady who was desperate for his son to be happy again?"

"Mrs. Nicoli, I don't think it will be appropriate for me to sit down and have a talk with you while I am still on job." I tried to find a reason to not sit and talk with her again. I just didn't want to lead her on.

"What kind of nonsense is that? Who let you work here?" Her emotion rose as I mentioned about my working session.

"It is what I do, Mrs. Nicoli. Didn't you remember? I was a maid and I will always be." I calmly replied.

"Shut up." I guessed she had enough and pulled me down to sit beside her. "Listen to me, child. You. Are. My daughter and nothing will ever change that. If you don't understand me, I'll repeat it again and even carve it on your forehead. Now, deny me again and I'll flick your forehead right here, right now." She sternly told me and her eyes were fiercely looked into mine.

I gulped down nervously, she could be scary after all.

"Am I understood, child?" I nodded obediently as I didn't want to make her mad.

"I heard about what happened to Diane's house. I hope you didn't get injured in any way." She told me in worried.

"I was not in the house."

"Thank goodness." She let out a relieved sigh. "I was so worried when Vincenzio told me you occupied her house. Are you foolish, child? You should have stayed here with James."