ventiquattro

◇unedited

"I keep on dreaming about her, Jamee until it hurts so much because that was only a dream. Wouldn't have I know she exists. How old is she now?"

"She's one and a half," I replied as my eyes stared at the top of his head.

"So much had happened within those times. Did you not tell her about me?" He kept on asking things knowing that it hurt him on the inside. It was like intangible torture to him.

"No." Short and simple.

"I wish I had known sooner. Besides I could be there for you, I wouldn't go crazy thinking about you out there alone. I wouldn't be a lone wolf."

I sipped on my tea as I listened to his rant. Silence followed and we dwelled in it together, enjoying the moment. It was just like old times but with a barrier between us. I was the one who put up a wall.

-

I had prepared breakfast early in the morning as he asked. He was going to the office today and I am going to watch him off for the first time in years. I felt nervous for some reason.

I was planning to get Fiorelli after cooking breakfast which was now. But that was before I saw James walking down the stairs with her in his arms. He looked very much ready for work and on the other hand, our daughter looked like she just woke up.

"Did you give her the chew toy back?" As soon as they approached me, I saw that Fiorelli was chewing on her favorite toy, the one that he took on that day.

"Hmm, of course." He replied and took a seat on the chair.

"You bath yourself but you didn't bother to bath her?" I asked as I grabbed her out of his arms to let him eat first.

"I could if I had known how to. You should teach me those things, Jamee. I want to take care of our daughter too." The looked of determination in his eyes told me that he was very serious. It warmed my heart knowing he would do anything for her and my heart felt at peace to know that.

"I will if you wanted to." I gladly would make his wish come true.

"Of course, I need to learn those things as well. I want to be able to take care of our daughter." He said.

Nodding, "Eat your breakfast and finish it before going to work."

"Where are you going?" He asked as he took his first bite.

"I'm going to bath her, James," I replied and motioned to Fiorelli in my arms. "I'll be back but don't wait up when you're done."

"I won't be long." I raised an eyebrow at him in question. "To the office. I'm just going to check on things and come back." He explained to made it clear to me.

"Okay, take your time. Business is not something to be rushed."

I left the main house and gone to the maid quarter. I put Fiorelli on the bed and stripped her out of her clothes.

"It's time for a bath, my sweet. Awe, look at you." I pinched both of her cheeks softly and made her broke into a grin. How I am addicted to seeing her smile like that. "I love you so much, my sweet."

Getting her bathed, she was such a sweet girl and had grown up so fast. She didn't cry anymore as I bathed her now, she used to be so upset with water, and sometimes, I had to just wipe her.

Once I was done, I brought her with me to the main house. I noticed a car ready outside and I knew it was for him. I didn't saw Nicholas waiting, where could he be?

"James?" I called his name out just to make sure if he was still home.

"Yes."

"What are you still doing here? I thought you are going to the office?" I said as he appeared in front of me.

"I am." He confirmed. "My baby, you looked so pretty and smell like heaven."

Weirdly, it got Fiorelli to smile. He even kissed her and she pecked him in return. "Your mama is jealous that I gave you a kiss. Should I give her one as well?" He whispered and still eye to eye level with her.

"Say bye-bye, Fio," I told her to change the topic.

"Bay-bay."

"Papa will be back soon. Won't you like to play with him?" James smiled.

"Go, James. You're prolonging the time and if you keep this going, I know you're not going to the office in the end." I told him, I knew his habit. And he had the audacity to pouted.

"See, baby girl? Your mama is jealous because you got all my attention." He told her again. This time, I hit him on the arm playfully.

"I'll go, I'll go." He finally straightened his posture and faced me. He suddenly leaned in and pecked me on the lips. "I'll be back in an hour."

I shook my head in disbelief at his behavior. What should I do with him if he hadn't found out about Fiorelli?

I called Benjamin inside to had some company.

"Did James ordered a crib?" I asked him because he might know about it.

"He did along with other things. They will come today." I nodded at his reply. Along with other things such as a highchair maybe? I hope he did.

"You can keep an eye on her while I clean his room, can't you?" There was an advantage of having him around and being close to him.

"I'll try." He stuttered but nodded anyway. So, I handed him my daughter and made sure she was comfortable first then leave her in his hand.

"I'll be back, my sweet girl," I said and made my way to the stairs. But, as I just stepped my foot onto the first step of the staircase, the house phone rang.

I picked up the phone knowing it must be from the security post.

"Jamee's speaking."

"Ma'am, there's someone at the door requesting to be let in." The guard spoke.

"Who is it?" I held my breath in anticipation. Could it be?

"Suzy Blakemore."

"Hold on a minute," I told him as I put him on hold because I needed to ask Benjamin.

"Benjamin, do you know Suzy Blakemore?" I looked at him and expecting him to know the person.

"Suzy Blakemore? She's his wife."

It's raining here right now and it felt nice