ventuno

◇unedited

I felt his hand rubbed my back at a steady pace as my head was placed on top of his chest. There was only silence that engulfed us which we preferred. Our naked bodies and tangled legs were the only proof of how we spent the evening. Soon, we had to broke it.

"We won't be in this situation if that day is approached differently," James said in frail. I didn't respond to him as I only listened.

He placed a kiss on top of my hair lovingly. So, I lifted my head and looked at him.

"I have to go home now. I don't want to overwork Nina." I said getting up to a sitting position. He strangely nodded while still had his arm around me. Does he understand now that I had to take care of our baby back home?

We get dressed again and he ushered me to the front door. Nicholas was on standby in front of the house.

"Will you bring here her again?" He asked before letting me go. He pressed me against him so we were looking straight into each other.

"I will try if the situation allows it. I don't want Fiorelli to meet your father." I stated clearly.

"I understand." He nodded. "Come early tomorrow. I have to go to the office." He kissed me on the lips before he let me go. He watched me until I got into the car and drove away.

"That was weird. Do you know his schedule for the rest of the week, Nicholas?" I asked him as it was just weird to me.

"His schedule would be going to the office and come home as early as he can. That's what he has been doing for the last two years." Nicholas told me. But it didn't satisfy me.

"What about his overseas schedule?" I asked again.

"He never went overseas lately." I sighed and only nodded. The rest of the ride I spent just being silent or had a small talk with him.

We arrived at my house area and slowly approaching the house. There were people and police officers scattered around. I frowned and my heart beat faster for an unknown reason.

"What's happening?" I asked as turned out the people were gathered at my house. I hopped out of the car and ran inside. The first I did was to find my daughter but she was nowhere in sight and so was Nina.

I didn't know what the neighbors talked about but one of the officers approached me. He shook my shoulder which made me realized I was in a daze. I turned to look at him with my wide eyes.

"Are you Miss. Hermann the owner of the house?" He asked and I only nodded because I couldn't speak. "There was a broke-in into this house and the victims were brought to the hospital for treatment."

At the information, my heart stopped beating for a second.

"My... daughter?" I asked and trembled. I looked at him in hopeful and swelled eyes.

"We brought her to the hospital to check on her condition but nothing serious happened to her. She was just there and witnessed the babysitter got stabbed. So, we were just--," before he could finish his sentence, I ran out of the house.

I didn't know where I was going when I ran, but then I knocked on someone. I planned not to mind the person as I was in hurry to go to my daughter. She must be so scared right now and alone. She needed me, that was the only thought in my mind.

"Baby, hey." A pair of warm and gentle hands grabbed my shoulders. "Look at me, Jamee. Calm down."

"No, no, my daughter, she needs me." I stammered on my own sentence which indicated that I was not in a good state.

"I know. You need to calm down, you didn't even see where you were going. What if something happens to you?" He brought me into his arms and rubbed my back to calmed some nerves in me. Tears just fell on my cheeks freely.

"My daughter, James." I cried on his chest as I fisted his shirt tightly.

"I know. Let's go to the hospital." He calmly said.

We got into the car which James drove himself. Silence surrounded us in the car. Our minds had their own world right now but on the same topic, our daughter. He didn't say much but I knew he was also worried about Fiorelli.

How could he arrive so fast to the house? Was he speeding? That worried me. But thankfully, he drove in the standard minimum.

Once he parked the car, we got out of the car and walked to the lobby. He took my hand on the way to the lobby so we walked hand in hand.

"Nina Fernandez and Fiorelli Nicoli, where are they?" I asked the lady behind the front desk. I tried to be as calm as I could before seeing my daughter.

"May I know who you are to them?" The lady asked.

"Her parents," I replied. I wished she would just show me and not made me gritted my teeth as I replied to her. Now she would think that I was rude.

"They are in the emergency room right at the end of the hallway." She finally told us. I rushed to where she just told me, leaving James behind. He didn't stop me and be protective all of the sudden.

The hallway was empty, so I peeked through the window in each room to find my daughter. She was put at the very end of the hallway. There was a nurse with her as I saw before coming in.

I opened the door and quickly picked my daughter up. "Mama." She said and tears fell again.

She's okay, I spoke in my mind.

"Oh my sweet, I'm so sorry. Are you hurt?" I asked her sweetly to not freak her out. She shook her head no innocently. I kissed her cheek, so precious I thought.

"Papa." She pointed towards the door, so I turned around and saw James good by the door. He was not coming closer and I saw a flash of guilty in his eyes. He forced a smile to her but stay still on his spot.

"Come here," I command him and with my stern eyes. Why would he put a distance? He listened and stood in front of us. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"You will stay with me from now on and no arguments will win you. You need to stay in my sight so I know you're safe." He said but he sounded demanding.

"I need to see Nina." I changed the topic and looked away from him.

"You don't understand, do you? If something happens to her again while you are away, I will lose it, Jamee. You even looked lost back at the house just because of the thought of our daughter being hurt."