trentadue

◇unedited

James' P.O.V

"I told you not to ask me this kind of thing." I snarled at him, not caring who was in front of me. "She didn't trust me with those. You almost cost me from seeing my daughter at home."

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to try. She is my daughter from my late wife, James. She is the one." He said. He meant that she was the one who had the right to everything he owned. The properties and assets, Jamee was the rightful owner to be handed down.

"Try another time. I don't want you to bother me with that kind of thing again. And remember, no one should have known about our daughter." I reminded him. He might be her father as he claimed to be, but when it regarded their safety, nobody should have messed with it.

"I understand, James. So, what did you promise Suzy in this scheme?"

"I don't know, ask my brother or father. I was just doing what they asked. Since I'm done with that bastard, I don't need her anymore. Didn't you realize it by now, I only need her to distract them." I arrogantly said without thinking of hurting his feelings.

"I figured that much." He looked dejected, his head hanging low. Does he really want to bond with Jamee? Maybe, fixing his mistake?

"Who asks for the divorce?" He looked at me, wanting to know the issue. I think he was just trying to dig in and know about what his daughter was going through.

"Her, and I won't tell you the reason. Because that's our personal matter." I replied.

"Give me time to get close to her, you can see that I'm old and I don't have much time in me. I want to fix my ignorance and get my daughter's back." I nodded because it wouldn't be my decision. He did the work and Jamee made the final decision.

"Does my mother know your late wife?" I suddenly remembered something that only my mother did.

"Veronica? Of course, they were best friends. But she doesn't know that we had a baby." He sighed. "Lena was afraid and bolts off the first chance she got. I don't know what happened after that, but I know that she's not alive now."

My confused face just couldn't hide its curiosity.

"I found her grave and dig into the people who last seen her. She got overdosed after she left Jamee at the orphanage. She was depressed after finding out how dangerous my world is. You need to protect them, James."

"I did, see where I get now. I tried to hide the dangerous world from her but people found a way to get her. I don't think hiding her from our world does her any better." I had known him for so long and had a conversation before, but dang, this was the first time I faced my once father-in-law by the unknown and current one.

"If you stepped down, who's the current king?" I continued.

"They have to choose by vote or take the claim." He shrugged, either way, dirty way.

"Is she listening?" His eyes darted to the room and I followed them.

"She wouldn't bother. She will just get here if she wants to hear or talk to you." I replied. I liked that about Jamee, she never hide. She would just confront them and had the talk that needed.

"I'll go now, expect to hear from me soon," Marsello said.

"Go." I literally shooed him away.

He finally left after his bodyguards came. He was well-protected even in his pension time.

I didn't go into Nina's room right away, I was still wrapping my mind around the fact that I had a father in law and that never changed even in my second marriage. Well, I had to acknowledge it since it binds me to the law. I had to take the action legally to null it. I planned on doing so, I wouldn't care about my father.

"Is he gone?" I got startled when her voice was suddenly heard. I turned around and found her at the door.

"Yes."

"Then come inside." I nodded and then got up from the chair. I walked up to her and wrapped my arm around her waist. My lips just couldn't resist the desire of being close to her. She turned away when my lips were just about to claim hers.

To hide my embarrassment, I placed my lips on her neck and stayed there for a few seconds.

"It's nice to meet you again, Mr. Nicoli." Nina politely said even though the situation was not so nice.

"Likewise, Nina. Thank you for protecting my daughter." I paid my gratitude to her as someone who was willing to be selfless and put others before her, a baby in that matter.

"It was part of my job and I just couldn't let a baby gets hurt." Everyone with a sense would save a baby than themselves.

"I'll come to see you another time," Jilly promised her. She already looked like a sister to her. She was all alone in this world before Diane came into her life. But now, a new light came. She doesn't look like she wanted to keep the light.

We said our goodbyes to Nina and left the hospital. The whole ride to the house was quiet. Fiorelli fell asleep in her mother's arms, there was nothing more heavenful than that.

How should I approach this with her? Marsello looked so determined to come and see her again. But the thing is, she had not opened up to another chapter in her life. I could just feel it.

She might have accepted me for Fiorelli, but that doesn't mean she had accepted me as me. Just if I hadn't begged her to stay, I would probably be depressed like her mother used to be.

I couldn't imagine not having her in my life again. I would worship her and change the situation in our lives before it got too complicated. My heart couldn't feel at ease after meeting Marsello.

 My heart couldn't feel at ease after meeting Marsello