quarantuno

◇unedited

"Wake up, will you? Get ready and take a shower, you have a task to do." I said to James as I finished getting Fiorelli ready. She was now dressed and looked beautiful.

"What task?" He asked groggily while still having his face on the pillow.

"You know it's today," I replied giving him an 'are you kidding me?' look which he didn't see because his face was stuffed on the pillow.

"Oh, your father?" He slowly lifted his head and looked at me then nodded. "Of course, I know. How could I forget something so important?" He grinned to hid his innocence because he did forget. I knew he just doesn't want to be close with Suzy.

"You do forget," I pointed out.

"I didn't, baby. I just don't want to stay here alone. Maybe, just maybe if I played dumb you will forget about leaving me here with that bambola." He gritted out the last word in despised. But then he turned to look at our daughter to make sure that she didn't affect by his words.

"Quella bambola è tua moglie. Non è carino? Hai una bambola come tua moglie." I teased him and smirked up.
(That doll is your wife. Isn't it cute? You have a doll as your wife.)

"Giusto, questo significa che posso buttarlo via quando ho finito. Nessun grosso problema," he replied making my eyes go widened. He said it so easily without a problem. We were talking about a human being right now if I had to shout it out loud.
(Right, that means I can throw it away when I'm done. No big deal.)

"James ...," I covered his mouth with my hand to speak no more words. He raised an eyebrow, silently asking me what was wrong. Couldn't he figure it out? "Fiorelli is developing her sentence, so be careful when you talk around her," I replied.

He nodded obediently and finally I let go of my hand.

"I love you." He kissed her forehead hard making them fall backward.

"Wove yu," Fiorelli replied cheekily.

The day went on and James with a grumbled agreed to distract Suzy while Fiorelli and I go out to meet Marsello with Vincenzio. He had waited for us in front of the gate. So, here we were, walking towards the gate.

"Thank you, Ben." I glanced at him while thanking him for escorting and bringing the car seat to the gate for us. Since I know Vincenzio didn't have a car seat for Fiorelli, so I thought ahead of taking one.

"Be careful, Jamee." I nodded at him before walking out of the gate. I saw his black car waiting just right at the door. Benjamin placed the car seat in the backseat and then left.

"Did you get what I told you?" He asked as he held the door open for me to put Fiorelli in her car seat.

"A phone? No." I frowned, did he really won't let that go?

"Then we're getting one on the way. It's better for you to have one before getting to his house. You wouldn't know if you need to call me or anyone while you are away. It's a dangerous place you step in, Jamee." I narrowed my eyes at him for the statement. He said Marsello was safe and I wouldn't have to worry.

"I mean, besides being with the man. You're going to be alone, you know?" He shrugged his shoulders and got into the driver's seat. I shook my head and followed him getting into the car.

I really thought his house was not that far since we met at the hospital in this area. Turned out, his house was at another end of the city and it took almost two hours of driving. Vincenzio made a stop at the phone store to get me one, so now I had a phone, my very own.

We were met with a gate and the car stopped just before it. Two guards making their way towards the car. I sat nervously as they were approaching us.

The one on Vincenzio's side leaned down and knocked on the window telling us to roll it down, so he did. When the window was down, he looked at Vincenzio and then to me then to Fiorelli in the back.

"Marsello knows we're coming," Vincenzio told him calmly.

"Name."

"Vincenzio Nicoli," the guard nodded and looked like waiting. He pointed at me silently. "Jamee Eilena Blakemore," Vincenzio stated.

I saw the guard shout to the other guy and the gate slowly opened by itself. It was an automatic gate, no surprise.

We passed the security and drove in furthermore and when I thought it was done, I was so wrong. The house was still nowhere in sight.

"Is it always this complicated?" I asked while looking outside to memorize the road, just in case. Vincenzio would always tell me to watch my back anywhere I go.

"Pretty much, but I'm sure once he meets you, this won't be necessary."

"How sure are you? Isn't this just a safety protocol?" I raised an eyebrow. I get how they worked a little bit. It was not much different from them, the Nicoli.

"It is. Inner circle gets a pass so they can move quickly," he explained. "Let's go."

We got out of the car and I moved to the back to unbuckle Fiorelli. She was quiet and I knew she was just being a good girl in a new place.

"Don't be scared, Mama is here, okay?" I caressed her cheek to soothe some nerves. Kids would get scared easily to places they had never been to. After she nodded, I picked her up and placed her on my hip.

Vincenzio led the way to the front door. Even though nobody was there but I felt eyes watching us. It's kind of creepy to me, so I prefer to live like I did with James.

"Don't be nervous, he's your father who has been waiting for you his whole life." Vincenzio was only trying to ease some nerves in me. He wouldn't be saying this if it was not necessary to him.

"Well, I am. You wouldn't know how I feel." I replied flatly. My heart was beating out of my chest while I had to look for the brave one for Fiorelli.

Nothing will happen, don't scare your child. I kept saying that in my mind. My stomach felt in a twist of excitement and weariness. Remembering how he reacted when we first met, I should have not worried but I just couldn't help it.

 Remembering how he reacted when we first met, I should have not worried but I just couldn't help it