48

Daniella arrived a little late to Imola compared to the other drivers so she decided to make her way to the track first and then go over to her hotel room after responsibilities like track walk, interviews, and meetings are done. 

The drizzling rain made her feel a little cold but she is not going to complain since she has always enjoyed weather like this. She put on her leather jacket and pulled out one of her suitcases where her team uniforms and other essentials are and made her way to the paddock, not caring about the rain. 

She waved at a few people and smiled for some cameras, but immediately felt a flash of guilt when she noticed the Ferrari driver. She has already received the news of his contract extension as soon as she landed and she is really happy for him. 

"Hey," Daniella smiled at Carlos. 

Carlos was a bit surprised when he heard her voice. He immediately turned to look at her and a small genuine smile appeared on his face. 

"Hi," Carlos stepped closer, making sure Daniella is now under his umbrella. 

"Listen… about that other night…" Daniella sounded guilty. She is fully aware about his intentions and plan for that night at the club but her heart desired to follow Max instead. 

"Hey, you don't have to explain anything," Carlos forced himself to smile. "I get that you were not feeling well or maybe something else was going on, but I don't think it is my place to get involved."

Daniella felt even more guilty but still a little relieved. 

"You don't have to feel bad," Carlos gently flicked her chin, making her look up and meet his eyes. For a few seconds he almost got lost in her eyes. 

"I can't help it," Daniella gave a soft smile. "I texted you, and when I didn't get any reply…"

"I was actually busy with the contract negotiations," Carlos clarified. Ferrari wanted to keep the seat open for Mick to carry on the Schumacher legacy but Carlos managed to convince them to offer him two more years. "I apologize for not replying to your texts," He politely said. 

"No, it's totally fine," Daniella assured him. "And I heard the news. Ferrari is one lucky team to have you for two more years."

Carlos chuckled at her words. 

"What?" Daniella looked confused. 

"Most people are saying I am the lucky one," Carlos replied. "You are the only one who said Ferrari is lucky to have me."

"Well, I am rarely wrong so…" Daniella let out a laugh. 

Carlos' smile only grew brighter. 

***

"You two should just quit racing and become full time models," Toto said, pointing at Daniella and Lewis who looked like they were about to walk in a fashion show. 

"That's what I plan to do after I retire," Daniella joked. 

"What?!" Both Toto and Lewis gasped. Toto even stood up from his comfortable chair, knocking it down in the process. 

Daniella acted serious. 

"It's just a backup plan," Daniella lied. "I don't have a single win this season, the car keeps bouncing like a ping pong ball. I just think if I retire now I will have many options…"

"You have three podiums this season," Lewis argued before she could finish the sentence, catching on to her charade. "I have none. According to your logic I should retire, not you."

"No one is retiring," Toto panicked. "Dani, you will make a fantastic model but you are one of the two best drivers on the grid so you are not allowed to retire," He sternly said, pointing a finger at her. Daniella was barely able to control her laughter.