Chapter Three

Hayat's Pov.

Friends can come and go but the ones who stayed are considered best friends or even family. These friends are very rare but when they come, you shouldn't let them go away from you.

I met Sameera when I was in kindergarten getting in trouble with a bully and she saved me from getting bullied.

From that day onwards we became like sisters, she was there when I lost my mother and she also knows what was happening at home when my father wasn't there.

"Guess who?", someone covered my eyes and told me. I immediately knew who it was.

" Let me see," I say touching her hands. " Is it my favorite person? Hey Sam", I added.

"Damn, could you make it a little bit harder?", she pouted taking a sit in the cafe where we usually met on weekends.

" How do I do that? When I know it's you?", I ask her.

Sameera is just like me but for Alhamdullilah her parents treat her like a princess.

She has three overprotective older brothers. But Alhamdullilah they give her privacy as long as she respects herself and Islam.

"Never mind then. I have great news", she tells me jumping up and down on her chair.

" Let me guess, Zahir proposed to you and your family has accepted him?," I tell her winking.

"Yes, he did Alhamdullilah. So here's a question I want to ask you. Will you be my maid of honor?", She asks me handing me a gift bag.

" Yes, I will but I have my condition. Please don't be one of the bridezillas", I tease her.

Zahir and Sameera have been together ever since they started the same college. They started as friends.

When Sameera introduced him to me I knew that he was the one for her.

Opposites do attract as they do.

"Hayat, come on. I won't be...... Okay fine, I promise you that I won't be what you say", she says while raising her right hand.

I opened the gift bag to see what was inside. I immediately smiled knowing how lucky I am to have her as my best friend and sister.

" You know how to bribe someone, don't you?", I ask her showing her my favorite chocolate.

She smiles and shakes her head.

"I do know you and I do know the love of your life is and will always be chocolate unless someone swept off your feet and marry you", she says sipping my chocolate milkshake.

In that Allah.

" Hey that's mine", I said trying to glare at her.

"I am not sorry and now it's mine", she tells me holding the glass and showing me that it was almost empty.

I laugh at her antics knowing that Zahir will be the one who will deal with them when they get married.

" Fine, so when are the nikkah and wedding reception? Have you guys come up with a date?", I ask her while going through the gift bag she gave me.

"Yes, we have and the engagement is this coming week but the wedding will be in a month after I finally graduate as a gynecologist", she explains to me.

" That's a great idea. You can concentrate on your finals without worrying about anything", I reply to her.

"There's the waiter", she says calling him. We ordered our food and drinks.

" That's it. Thank you", I tell the waiter who leaves to get our food.

"How are you doing Hayat? And don't tell me that you are fine. Did the witch do something to you?", she asks me.

" Sam, I will be fine in shaa Allah. I won't be like this for the rest of my life. I haven't lost hope", I explain to her trying to convince myself.

I know how my stepmother Maryam is. She doesn't care about me or my future.

All she cares about is her daughter getting married to a rich man while she makes me a servant of the house whenever my father isn't around.

"Hayat, are you alright?", Sameera asks me noticing that the food has arrived.

" I am okay Alhamdullilah. Nothing is wrong", I tell her.

I know that she didn't believe me because of the way she was staring at me.

When Maryam poured hot water on my arm this morning I wanted to shout back but I didn't.

I prayed for her to be a good person.

"Ouch", I yelped when she touched my arm.

" Show me right now", she tells me opening my sleeve.

"Sameer Malik stops", I tell her.

"Fine, but remember that you will show me later", she threatened me while glaring at me.

I don't hate my stepmother or even her daughter, I pray that they would change Their behavior towards me but Allah knows best.

"So, ready to go?", I asked her as we finished eating. Sameera nodded while signaling the waiter for the check.

" Sam, don't this my treat for you", I try stopping her from paying for the food. But knowing her she wouldn't care about embarrassing me so I let her be.

"Hayat, I am paying, you will pay for the ice creams we will have later. After shopping", she explains to me.

Ya Allah, help me with this girl.

When she starts shopping she will take hours of shopping.

" Don't worry, I have a list this time", she says as she sees how my face is.

I gave her a  look.

"I will show you", she tells me opening her bag and removing a piece of paper, and then she hands it to me.

" Okay, I believe you. We are shopping only for these things here on the list", I warn her while glaring at her.

"Yes, Habibty. Let's go", she says while gathering her things. " I forgot something", she says removing some money and putting it on the table as a tip for the waiter. "Now, we can go", she holds my hand dragging me around the mall.

I follow her because I know that she won't leave me alone and I severely dislike shopping. Any kind of shopping.

I love her but I dislike shopping and she knows that.

"Hayat, what's wrong?", Sameera asks me whenever she sees me looking at a mother and daughter shopping together.

"I am good Alhamdullilah. I promise you", I assure her smiling and putting my arm around her and walking towards her favorite boutique to distract her.

"Okay, Habibty. Let's shop because you have to go back to work and I have to go back to the hospital for reviewing a patient", she says pulling towards the dress section.