Chapter Sixteen.

He Knows.

Aayan's Pov.

As I dropped her home, I wanted her to think that I had forgotten about speaking to her father. But the truth is I will have to go to his office because if I meet him at home, the stepmother would do anything for me not to tell him anything.

I knew that Hayat was trying to protect them. The main question is why?

When I reached my house all my thoughts were on Hayat. When I carried her in my arms it was as if she wasn't eating at home.

Why are there such cruel people in the world? People who would do just about anything just to hurt someone.

I would have taken them to jail if it was my son Azaan. He is my world.

"Aayan are you alright? I keep calling your name but it seemed that your thoughts are far away", Farwa tells me after shaking my shoulder to get my attention.

"I am sorry, Farwa. It is just that I was deep in thoughts after what I witnessed happening to someone even though she could have defended her which she didn't. I wonder why she didn't?", I explained to her but I didn't mention Hayat's name to her.

"There are many reasons why she didn't. Might be because of fear. Or even to protect someone that means a lot to her and whom she doesn't want to burden her problems to", she tells me. I knew that she had a point. "Plus, everyone has their own reason to be who they are and a story to explain why they do what the do", she added.

"Yes, that might be the case but what if she has someone who can defend her but still thinks of their good?", I asked her.

Hayat is thinking of changing them to be good but you can't change a fox into a sheep or even vice versa.

"She has her own reason, Aayan. But if you can help go a head. But things arent what they seem to be", she answers me. "Lunch is ready. Azaan is staying with your mother, should I serve you?", she added.

"No, thank you. You can go ahead and eat then rest. If I need something I will let you know".

She nodded.

Before walking away she turned to me.

"Allah knows best, Aayan. Turn back to him and He will guide you to your decision", she says and then walks away.

She has been trying to get me to go back to pray but I couldn't. I didn't know why but I just couldn't.

I think this was the sign that Zainab was talking about. Finding Azaan in Hayat's arms while she was making her duas. She treated him like her own, unlike her stepmother.

Hayat's Pov.

I was nervous about going home because of what happened to me with Maryam. If it wasn't for Aayan, I would have been broken into many pieces by her.

I wasn't afraid of them, I didn't want to burden Papa with any of my problems.

People will say that parents are there to solve our problems but what if they weren't? What would you do?

This is why I never miss my prayers except for some days. Women days.

I walked into the house, looked around to find no one there, and quickly went to my room. I locked the door so I could check on my injuries which were more severe than any other.

The doctor told me that Maryam almost cracked my ribs when she pushed me to the ground.

Sometimes, I wish my mother was here but that isn't possible. Well, except that I could pray to Allah to make this a bit easier for me.

I prayed that Aayan would forget to tell my father what happened that day because I didn't want any problems that occur in their marriage because of me.

It was almost time for Papa to arrive home from work. I knew that he might want to see me but I couldn't go like this with bruises all over my face.

I could feel my face burn from the cuts that were given by the ring she wore on her right-hand finger.

But I knew that I couldn't hide from him and I had to face him and lie to him even though I hated myself for lying to him.

As I finished cleaning the wounds on my face, I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

It couldn't be Maryam or even her daughter because they usually barge in.

I went and opened it to my surprise I found my father standing there with tears in his eyes. He lunged to hug me while sobbing in my arms.

I was beyond confused as to why he was crying. Could it be that Aayan told him what happened or something else?

"I am sorry my dear. I am sorry for not looking after you", he says over and over again but I was getting more and more confused because I didn't know what was going on.

"Papa, what's wrong?", I asked him drying his tears with my hands.

"I failed you my Hayat...."

"Papa, no don't say that. You are the best father that any girl would want to have here on earth and also in Jannah. And I love you very much", I interrupt him.

He began shaking his head denying what I was saying.

"I know", he tells me.

The three words I dreaded hearing from him.

"Know what, Papa?", I asked playing dumb.

"I know how much you are suffering because of Maryam and Jameela. I know that they have been mistreating you. I know everything and its all thanks to Aayan Muhsin. The young man whose parents wanted you for him", he explained as he removed my medical file from his back.

The same blue file that Aayan had earlier. I knew I should have taken it but I didn't want to be in his car.

"Papa, I promise you I am fine Alhamdullilah. See for yourself", I tell him hoping to ease the pain in his heart.

He put his hand on my cheeks where the bruises were starting to form.

"Don't lie my Hayat. I know everything. And I should have been a better father to you. How can I face Allah now that I failed you as your father?", he asks me as he looks at my bandaged hand.

"Papa, I don't and will never blame you for what they did. Because it isn't your fault, its theirs for not seeing me as their own family just like I see them as my own", I tell him wiping the fresh tears that were flowing down his face. "Besides, no one can break your Hayat, always remember that", I added smiling.

"He is a great man for what he did for you. But he seemed troubled by something", Papa started describing how Aayan is.

I explained how I met his son and how the handsome boy won my heart even though we didn't get to spend so much time together.

"Please Papa don't cry. I am fine alhamdullilah. Allah is with me and so are you. Your Hayat is unbreakable", I kiss him on his forehead. "Don't scold them or even quarrel with them. There's always Kifrah. I don't and will never wish bad on either of them because they are family", I added.

We talked for a while before he walked out of my room leaving me with my thoughts.

How did Aayan find my father when they never met?

One word.

Zahir.

Yes, that's it. He must have told him where Papa worked and even his timings. It's not that I am angry, it was because I didn't want any problems that will be caused by me.

Allah knows best.

Parents are our protectors, our first everything before we get to know the world. Love them, and cherish every moment you have with them because, in the end, they are the ones who take care of you when you are sick.