Chapter Fifteen.

Everyone Has A Story, What's Yours?

Maryam's POV {Before Aayan comes in}

Hayat has always been a nuisance in my life and my daughter's. I married her father to live a comfortable life without having to struggle to make ends meet.

I have always had my eye on him but when he got married to Aliya (Hayat's late mother) I was devasted because I love him for his money.

My parents then forced me to marry an old man who was on the verge of dying. The only thing that came out of that marriage was my beautiful daughter Jameela.

After the death of my husband, I struggled to make ends meet for my daughter and me. Then one day I received a proposal from Ahmed Ali.

I accepted it knowing that I was set for life but what I didn't was that he had a daughter with his wife before she died.

I had to make her life miserable because Ahmed didn't care about Jameela as she wasn't his daughter. He began spoiling her every time of the day by giving her gifts.

"What are doing here? I know its because you didn't come from school, you came from sleeping around with other men. The man from the other night wasn't satisfied that he wanted you for the second time?", I ask her. I didn't even wait for her to answer when I just slapped her.

I knew that her beloved father wasn't home and this was my chance to get even with her for all those years of enduring her.

"What's going on, mum?", Jameela asked as she was on top of the stairs. When I didn't answer, she came down the stairs to find Hayat on the floor with me continuously hitting her without any mercy.

I didn't care about her all I wanted was out of our lives. When the marriage proposal came I was ecstatic for my daughter but it turns out that It was for her.

How pathetic is that?

Jameela took a seat while watching me discipline Hayat. I hated her with everything I had in me.

But what I didn't expect was someone barging into the house. He looked very handsome.

"Aayan".

I hear Hayat say his name. I immediately knew who he was. It was his parents who came to ask for Hayat's hand in marriage.

I knew that I made a mistake by not closing the door when she came in. But my mind was on dragging her and not caring if anyone saw what I did except for her father.

"Umm....."

I gave Jameela a signal that it was the end for us.

Hayat shook her head at him. He just moved towards her.

"She came home with someone that's why she deserves to be beaten....."

He then picked her up in his arms and walked out of the house.

"Now what do we do mum? You should have locked the door first. Now he has seen what he isn't supposed to see....."

"Shut up, Jameela. Just shut up and go get properly dressed. You look like a hooker", I shouted at her while looking at the door hoping that Ahmed won't find out.

If he did it would be the end of everything that I have worked hard for.

I needed a plan for whatever will happen. I needed to be ready for whatever was happening when they came back from where they were going.

Hayat's Pov.

I knew that pursuing Aayan, not telling anyone about what he saw was impossible as he was determined to do that.

The question is why?

It's not that am not grateful it's just no one has ever stood up for me. Not even the maids at the house or even Jameela.

"Aayan, why are you doing this?", I asked him.

"Because no one deserves to be treated like that. Abusing someone like that it isn't something I condoned. Whatever you did must have an explaination and she doesn't have a right to abuse you or even hit because of anyone. A mother or even a stepmother should love and take care of the child no matter what relations they share", he explained to me.

I could see him gripping the wheel. I knew he was angry at the situation but I can't let him tell my father about it. Because I don't want to be the one causing problems for Maryam and him.

"Shukran for everything Aayan. I really appreciate it", I thanked him.

Thankfully he didn't say anything after that and we drove in slience. I wondered where we were going as the road wasn't heading home.

Aayan's pov.

I wasn't taking her home because I knew if I did that they would try and pretend to be nice to her.

I was taking her around the block to pass the time until her father came home. According to Zahir's text message, he usually comes home at around four p.m.

Half an hour was remaining. The awkward slience surrounding us was getting too much because I had no idea what to say to her.

We are strangers.

"Could you tell me why you became a teacher?", I asked her hoping to ease the awkward slience that was in the car.

"My mother was a teacher who loved teaching kids of different classes. She even gave tuition to kids who couldn't afford to go to school. I learned that knowledge can be given for free to a kid and they will remember you in their duas. I became a teacher to honor her memories", she explained to me.

What she didn't realize was that I parked the car near a café so that I could pass the time until I could meet her father.

"What are we doing here?", she added as she looked around.

"To have lunch....."

"Don't you work?", she blurted out and then covered her mouth with her hand. "I am sorry, I shouldn't have said that", she added looking down at her feet.

"I do work but today I decided to take a day off so that I could spend it with Azaan after the school visit but unfortunately my mother took him with her. So I am free for the entire afternoon", I answered her smiling easing the embarrassing moment she just had.

I knew that she didn't want me to meet her father but why? He needed to know what was going on with her daughter when he wasn't home.

I am sorry, Hayat but I will have to tell him with or even without your permission.