Chapter Twenty-Eight

Who Are You?

Two Weeks Later.

Aayan's Pov.

She hasn't woken up yet. The swelling inside the brain has gone now, Alhamdulillah. But she hasn't woken up. Zahir and the other doctors keep assuring me that she will wake up when the time comes.

Azaan was getting restless because he hasn't seen his mamma for almost two weeks. He knows where she is but I don't have the heart to bring him to see her at the hospital, especially with wires all over her.

I have been spending almost every day of my time at the hospital hoping that Hayat would wake up. But it broke my heart every time I look at her lying in bed, pale, and it was all because of the words I told her.

"Anger is nothing in the body, but it is poison to the heart and mind. That's why you should try and stay away from it".

Her words give me the things that I need. Each time I would be sad, she would try to cheer me up and now she isn't there to do that.

I held her hand with mine, squeezing it trying to get a reaction from her but nothing happened. I put my head on the bed while still holding her hand.

I didn't know how long I was holding her hand when I felt it being pulled away making me jolt up to see who it was.

I found Hayat staring at me with her big honey-brown eyes but it was like she doesn't know me.

"I am sorry but who are you? And why are you holding my hand?", she asks trying to retract her hand.

I was hoping that it was a joke but the look on her face told me otherwise.

"Could please let go of my hand? We are strangers and I am not allowed to touch a stranger. Let my hand go", she says pulling her hand away from mine leaving with the coldness missing her hand.

"I will go and get the doctor", I tell her walking out of the room feeling mixed emotions. I was happy that Hayat is awake but I was sad because she doesn't remember me.

How is that possible?

I knocked on Zahir's door and walked through it. I greeted him and explained to him that Hayat is awake but she doesn't remember me.

"I will go and check up on her. Then I will let you know the diagnosis", he got up from his chair and we went back to Hayat's room.

When we walked into the room, we found Hayat in bed looking around the room.

"Asalam Aleikum Hayat. How are you doing?", Zahir asks her.

She looked at him and smiled.

"Waleikum salaam, Zahir. Am good alhamdulillah. Just a little bit of a headache that's all. Are you my doctor?", she asks him.

I felt my heart cracking when she didn't even acknowledge me.

"Yes, I am. Do you who this man is?", he asks her.

All Hayat did was shake her head.

"No, I don't know him. He was holding my hand and didn't want to let go. Do you know him, Zahir?", she answered.

"Yeah, I do. He is your husband, Hayat. You got married almost six months now......"

"How? Why can't I remember?", she asks herself looking at me with tears in her eyes.

All these were happening what we all didn't know was that someone was outside her room rejoicing the fact that Hayat has lost her memories.

Unknown Pov.