Chapter Twelve.

The Brown Envelope.

Hayat's Pov

I knew that it was a bad idea for Aayan to drop me off at home. As soon as I walked into the house, Maryam pulled my hijab along with my hair and dragged me inside upstairs to my room.

"Is this how you came home? With a man and in his car?", she began slapping me without any mercy or wanting any explanations. "You are acting like a loose woman with no morals", she added as she continuously slaps me.

What about Jameela who sleeps with her boyfriend?

I wanted to ask her that but I didn't want any more beatings that didn't stop her when she hit me without any type of remorse.

I could see Jameela peeking at the door while her mum beat me up. This wasn't the first nor will it be the last time that Maryam is beating me up for something that my papa knows about.

There's always Kifrah, remember that Jameela.

I couldn't even make a sound because if I did she would beat me harder and harder. So I just kept quiet taking it without saying a word.

As she finished beating me up, Maryam walked out of the door and closed it leaving me on the floor with my face aching from the slaps she gave me.

I picked myself up and walked into the bathroom to wash my face and dry my tears. I could feel my cheeks burn from the slaps that Maryam gave me.

Alhamdullilah.

That's all I could say because I can't complain to my father who is trying so hard to make me not feel that I don't have a mother.

I knew that he married Maryam for my sake because he thought I will need a mother to give me advice and to take care of me but I guess he was wrong about that.

Because all I got from her were beatings when I didn't cook or give my things to her daughter.

They pretended to be nice to me in front of papa but in reality, they despise me. They began taking things that papa usually buys for me on my birthday. Like my car which now Jameela drives.

I removed my clothes to take a shower and then pray Isha's prayers as I didn't want to miss it.

But what I didn't know was the fact that my life was going to change for good or even for bad.

Aayan's Pov.

I could see Azaan's face turn to a sad one when Hayat waved at him before going into her home.

I started the car and drove us home because there was no need to drive back to Zahir as it was late and Azaan needed to get to bed.

I remembered the envelope my mum gave me a few days ago and I needed to open it.

I noticed Azaan was already sleeping when I looked over to his seat. I parked the car and walked to his side to carry him into the house.

I slowly put him in his bed and then removed his shoes, kissed him on his forehead, and put a blanket over him.

I walked out of his room and went to my study to look for the envelope that mum gave me.

I slowly opened it but only to find a picture of the girl mum wanted me to marry I turned the picture to see the face of the girl.

I was shocked to see that it was no other than Hayat. I caressed her picture and remembered how she treated Azaan.

Azaan doesn't even like strangers but Hayat was an exception to him.

Does this mean that Azaan has chosen her as his mother? Ever since my wife died, I didn't feel like this for anyone let alone let them carry Azaan.

The only thing that's on my mind is Azaan's reaction to saying yes to mum and for Hayat to marry me.

When Zahir told me who she was I was surprised because I had never seen her until the wedding as I have met Sameera many times before. I guess you could say that destiny has a way of showing what you want to need in life without you knowing.

Will she accept or reject it?