Before

Three years ago...

This bar in Colville was the last stop on my tour. I was glad to have planned it out this way because it meant I only had to drive back two hours to Alton. I couldn't wait to get home; I'd been doing shows across the country for six months now, and I was tired.

I missed my parents and food that didn't come from run-down diners or drive-through windows. I was definitely going to have to start working out and eating better when I got home. All of that take-out was catching up with me.

"Li!" My older sister, best friend, and manager, Dari, was calling my name. "Five minutes!"

Thank goodness for her. I would have never gotten through this tour without her. I checked my reflection one last time in the bathroom mirror, headed out, and walked onto the stage.

The audience clapped politely; they probably didn't know me at all and were just there for the drinks. I started off my set at the keyboard with a cover of "Cellophane" by FKA Twigs. I liked to do something dramatic right at the beginning to grab people's attention and show them that I was more than just another bar singer. As I finished the song, people were genuinely clapping, and there were some cheers.

I did a couple of my original pieces mixed in with covers of some current hits, accompanying myself with either my acoustic guitar or keyboard. I ended the set with a song I'd just finished writing a few weeks ago. Applause and shouting brought me out of the zone and I looked around, a little stunned. I usually got so into the music that I forgot where I was.

I thanked the audience and handed my guitar to Dari, who was always there when the applause died down. "That was fantastic!" she exclaimed. "You go get something to drink, I'll get us packed up." I gave her a hug in thanks and walked down the steps and over to the bar.

"Can I have a peppermint tea, please?" I asked the bartender. He looked at me funny; they always did, but I had a no-alcohol policy while on tour. Shrugging, he came back with hot water and a tea bag; I dunked the bag, letting it steep for a few minutes before I sipped at it cautiously.

"Hey," said a deep voice to my right. I turned to find a good-looking man smiling hesitantly as he stood a few feet away. "I don't want to bother you, I just wanted to say that your voice is phenomenal," he said, rubbing the back of his neck in a cute way like he was embarrassed to be talking to me.

"Thanks," I smiled back at him. He seemed harmless enough, and I didn't mind talking to fans for a few minutes. "Would you like to sit down?"

"Oh! Umm...sure, thanks."

I sipped at my tea, looking at him expectantly. Wow, this guy was nervous. "So, do you live around here?" I asked, trying to break the ice.

"I'm a few hours away," he replied. "I...just came for the weekend with some friends."

"Oh, I didn't mean to hold you up," I replied. I kinda hoped he would say he wanted to stay here and talk to me. Someone bumped into me from behind and muttered an apology; I waved my hand in acknowledgment but kept focused on the guy in front of me, who was looking out at the crowd.

He looked confused, rubbing his chin. Then he met my eyes. "Oh, it's fine, I'll catch up with them later. I just, I don't know...your voice drew me in, and I had to meet you."

Lots of men had said lines to me while I was touring, especially drunk men, since I had mostly played in bars. But something about this guy seemed different. I was about to respond when Dari put her hand on my shoulder. "Hey girl, 20 minutes and we hit the road for home, OK?" I nodded at her and took a huge gulp of my tea. I liked to hydrate my throat after a performance.