Anything

I watched Jake from next to the barn. He had insisted on going to speak to my grandparents alone. I watched him speak to them earnestly, shaking his head and putting his hand on his chest. My grandmother nodded and smiled; my grandfather shook his hand. He turned toward me, and it was like seeing him for the first time again. Those enchanting eyes lit up to see me watching him, and he smiled. He walked over with quick strides and bent his head to kiss me. "Will you wait for me inside?" he asked.

"Of course. I'm going to start some lunch."

I went to the kitchen, humming happily. I was pulling out ingredients from the fridge when I felt Jake's arm around my waist, turning me around. I faced him to find him holding a pot with purple orchids in it. "Those are beautiful!" I exclaimed. I always loved how orchids looked, but I was terrible at remembering to take care of plants.

"I wanted to bring this orchid into our home to show you that I am serious about not running away this time, Li. It will be my responsibility to care for this plant as it's my honor to care for you."

My heart fluttered at his use of the words 'our home.' I was teary-eyed at the sincere look on his face. He really was going to try. I felt like I was falling in love with him all over again, but this time I got to do it in person. "I like that idea," I said, allowing him to kiss me gently. "Jake, you look very tired. Why don't you relax while I make us food?"

"I could not sleep without you," he explained. "Each time I closed my eyes, I saw the hurt on your face and knew that I caused you to look that way. I am so sorry."

"I know you are. I forgive you," I said simply, my hand on his chest. "Will you please rest?"

He shook his head. "I fear I cannot unless you're with me. I will unpack while you cook."

I changed course with lunch, making it as quickly as possible so Jake could get some sleep. Fifteen minutes later, we were eating. He ate like he was starving, taking a second helping before he was even done with the first. I felt sad about what he'd unnecessarily put himself through, what he'd put us both through. But as much as it had hurt me and made me unhappy, he seemed to have punished himself for it even more. I would have to make certain he took better care of himself, or he might not heal properly.

After our meal, I ushered Jake to the bed and he stretched out with a sigh. "I was sleeping in Hannah's childhood bed," he explained. "A teenage girl's twin bed is not the correct size for me." I laughed. He beckoned me into his arms. I pecked him on the lips and rested my head on his chest. Within minutes, his breathing had slowed and he was asleep.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but wasn't tired. I was feeling twitchy, in fact. I tried to sneak from the bed, but the slightest movement from me had his arms tightening around me. I glanced up and saw he was still sleeping, but somehow he still knew I was leaving and prevented it. Well, maybe in a while I would try again.

I decided I would use this time to organize my thoughts and make some plans. I'd had a random idea that if Richy was getting out soon, maybe we could put together a medley of 80s music. Yeah, I could do it myself, but it would be so much more fun to sing it with him.

I also had decided I wanted Dan to learn how to do editing and help manage some of Richy's stuff. When we weren't touring, Dan was underemployed and I didn't like that for him. I thought maybe Jake could teach him, but first I'd have to tell Dan and Jessy that Jake and I had patched things up. Maybe we could have them come by tomorrow. I wanted Jake to be present for that conversation, because if I spoke on his behalf, Dan especially wouldn't let it go until he'd gotten his interrogation in. The temporary rift between Jake and me was even more complicated than when Richy and I broke up, because there was never animosity between Richy and me.