Relationships

"Jessy, hold still!" I pleaded. I was trying to place her veil on her titian locks, but she had so much nervous energy that it was impossible.

"Here, drink this," Cleo said, handing her a tiny glass. Jessy tossed it back like a pro.

"Did you just give her a shot?" I questioned. I didn't know what was more surprising, that Cleo offered it or that Jessy took it. But it worked because she calmed enough that I could finally pin the veil to her head. I stepped back, admiring her. With her petite stature (who was I to talk, though?) Jessy had chosen a tea-length gown. It was matte satin and had a wide ivory hem in a shimmery material. The bodice was overlaid with lace covering her to the neck and form-fitting 3/4 length sleeves. It was adorable, especially with her hair done up in pin curls trailing down her back and a red lipstick that looked stunning against her creamy white skin.

"You look amazing," Lilly said, and we all nodded in agreement. I glanced at the time.

"You ready, Jessy?" I asked her. She took a trembling sigh, then nodded her head. Since Jessy had only her sister left, my grandfather offered to escort her down the aisle. She had happily agreed. Jessy had become like a sister to me, and my family loved her as much as I did.

I opened the door and peeked my head out, finding that Jake was waiting with my grandfather. The two were talking like old friends, which they sort of were. Jake was an old soul in some ways, and I think he and my grandfather felt a kinship. Jake's eyes raked over my body. Our bridesmaid dresses were also tea-length in a matte navy blue satin, with a wide band of white at the waistline that ended in a cute bow at the back. The bodices had wide straps and square necklines. It was simple and elegant. I'd chosen to wear my long hair up in a braided bun with a few wispy strands falling loose around my face. "Wow," Jake said, putting his hands on my waist and admiring me.

Lolo Pops chuckled. "Yep, my granddaughter is a stunner. Smart, too."

Jake nodded, holding my hands. "Believe me, I know how lucky I am, Lolo." My eyes got misty at him calling my grandfather, "grandfather" in Tagalog. Lolo clapped his hand on Jake's back, then turned to me.

"Is Jessy ready?"

"Yes, I was coming out to say that. Jake, is Dan where he's supposed to be?"

Jake smirked. "He's been pacing in front of the altar for the past twenty minutes, terrified Jessy is trying to make a getaway. That's why he sent me up here, to guard the door."

I giggled. "Poor Dan. Well, the wait's over." I opened the door and motioned for the ladies to come out. Both the men had approving smiles on their faces when Jessy appeared.

"Ay, beautiful!" Lolo exclaimed, kissing each of her cheeks before fixing her veil. He tucked her hand into the crook of his arm; Jake did the same with me, and the other groomsmen met up with us in the foyer. 

Lilly went first with Richy, then Cleo with Thomas, Jessy's sister with her husband, and then Jake and me. I watched Dan closely as Jessy appeared, and grinned happily at the love and amazement on his face as he followed her journey down the aisle on my grandfather's arm. 

When I looked over at Jake and our eyes met, I fell into twin pools of aqua-blue adoration. I couldn't wait until it was us getting married. Just six more months to go. I blew him a kiss and tried to focus on the ceremony. But I was being watched, and it wasn't just Jake. It was Richy. He, too, had a look of love on his face. He grinned at me, and I gave him a nervous smile at the butterflies creeping in. Eyes front. No more looking.

The reception was at The Black Swan, and I briefly got to meet Alice, Richy's date. She seemed sweet. She came over to the bridal party table and wrapped her arms around Richy's neck, kissing his cheek. He kinda patted her arm then pried it off of him and told her he'd see her later. She looked hurt when she walked away, and Cleo was pissed. "That wasn't very nice, Richy."