Separation

Jake and I met back at the barn. He looked worn down by life, the same as I felt and probably looked. It had been a rough month, and we would not feel better for a long time. I was especially sad for Jake, who'd just gotten Hannah back in his life, only to have her taken from him again. That was part of my plea to her and Lilly about finally speaking to their parents about him, and I was so thankful that it came to fruition.

"I don't think I need to ask how you are," I told Jake. We had decided to go back to bed for awhile, because even sitting up seemed like too much work right now. "But I'm afraid to ask how Thomas is."

"I believe he feels as I did each time I had to be separated from you," Jake responded. "As if the most important piece of myself was missing."

"I remember that feeling," I said. "We'll have to keep an eye on him and Lilly, as well." 

"Agreed. But for today, we are going to take care of only ourselves."

"That sounds good."

I must have fallen asleep. When I looked around, it was dark, and Jake was gone from the bed. I saw him sitting at the desk, working on his laptop. "I don't think I've seen you working yet," I commented. Jake's eyes tracked over to me, and he quickly clicked on some things and then closed the laptop. "You don't have to stop," I reassured him, sitting up. "Especially if it makes you feel better. I know my work helps me with that, sometimes."

"It is alright," he told me. "I was just keeping myself amused while you rested. Are you hungry?"

"Sure," I said. 

"Then I would like to propose that we go out to dinner," he told me, a hopeful look on his face.

"Like a date?" I asked, suddenly excited. Jake nodded and smiled. I had exactly one date with Richy before we were essentially living together, and now Jake and I were a couple and living together but had not even had our first date. "I would love that."

"Excellent. I will make our reservations while you get ready." Jake's smile was genuine, and I ran over to kiss him before excitedly rifling through my closet to see what I could wear. I didn't care if we were going to a hot dog stand, I was going to dress up for this.

I hurriedly picked a few choices and brought them into the bathroom with me. I tried each one on, took a selfie, and then sent them to Jessy. 

Li: SOS! Jake's taking me on a date!

Jessy: It's about time!

Li: Hey, he's been a little busy! So, which one?

Jessy: Girl, you know which one! The black dress!

Li: You're right, lol. How are you and Dan?

Jessy: Wiped out. Sitting around like 😫

Li: I get it. I had to take a nap when I got home.

Jessy: Well, it is what it is. We'll get through it. Have fun on your date. 🥰

Li: Thank you! Double date soon?

Jessy: Absolutely!

I fixed my hair and make-up, and then put on the black dress in question. It was a high-necked, long-sleeved bodycon with a keyhole cutout at the cleavage and a slit up one side. I'd actually not worn it since I tried it on at the store, and was happy that it still fit. I added large gold hoop earrings, then I slipped on some black strappy heeled sandals and peered out the bathroom door.

Jake had finally gotten some more clothing, I saw. He was dressed in a grey button-up shirt and a pair of dark slacks. I smiled at him shyly when he turned and saw me. My heart skittered at the look on his face, which was one of unadulterated lust. "You are a goddess," he breathed, stalking toward me.