Abandoned

I thought for sure that someone would come through the door at any moment and shoot us. At that point, I welcomed it, and I couldn't even feel remorseful that Richy would die, too. I just wanted it all to end. The images I'd seen on the video haunted me, replaying over and over in my head on a loop. Richy couldn't convince me to eat or drink and I shoved away his hand when he tried to give me my medicine. He brushed my teeth for me as I sat on the toilet seat lid, and when it was time for our walk, he had me dressed and ready. But at the appointed time, the door didn't open.

The next day, we were still alive, much to my dismay. It was a shower day, and it took much longer than usual because Richy had to figure out a way to do everything for both of us. He sat me on the floor of the shower, which gave him more room to maneuver, and leaned me against his chest when he needed me to stand up. I was aware of what was happening but didn't want to help. I wanted to die. Why wouldn't they let me die?

When we left the bathroom, everything remained untouched. The bedding wasn't changed, and none of our food supplies had been stocked. "Something's not right," I finally said. I thought about it while I let Richy dress me again. I was weak from repeated vomiting and not eating or drinking for over 24 hours. "I think they're going to leave us here and starve us to death," I told Richy. Somehow, I was OK with that, too.

My suspicions grew when once again, nobody unlocked the door for our daily walk. Richy convinced me to have some water, but my body wanted to retch at the sight of food. I took a few sips and gave him back the bottle.

By the third day without a walk, I had no doubt in my mind about what was happening. We still had some food and water, but not much. Richy begged me to drink a bit more and eat two crackers. I gagged but kept them down, telling him sullenly that he was only delaying the inevitable. I had three days' worth of medicine left. All I could do was lie in bed; Richy continued to dress me for walks, hopeful that I was wrong our captors trapping us to slowly starve.

On day five, he believed me. If I started eating more than crackers, we had a day or two worth of food left, and a few days beyond that of water if we conserved. Richy held me close and talked into my ear. "I'm going to try to get us out of here. Will you help me, Li? Will you try to live for me again?"

I looked up into his eyes. I had been selfish once more, letting my pain over Jake hurt him, allowing Richy to carry the weight for both of us. Richy didn't deserve to die. "Yes, I'll help you. Whatever you need, I'll do it."

He kissed my forehead and helped me sit up, bringing me a sandwich and some more water. I took small sips and picked at the sandwich bread while I watched him. He left the bedroom for the bathroom and came back with one of the electric razors then smashed it on the ground. I watched as he took the internal blade and sawed through the wires to detach them, then started separating them and manipulating their shape.

"Are you making a lock pick?" I asked. My voice sounded raw from crying and dehydration.

"Exactly." He brought his new tools over to the door and crouched down in front of it. After a few modifications to the wires, he slid them into the lock. Several minutes went by as he painstakingly worked on the lock with the wires. I gasped when I heard a click. Richy grinned at me. "Let's get our coats."

We snuck out of the room, holding hands just in case there was still a sniper watching us somewhere. The exterior door was unlocked. Richy peeked his head out and said there was nobody standing where he usually saw an armed person. The deck was empty and silent. We looked around again, and still saw nothing but water. We also noted that snow was beginning to fall in heavy sheets, so we quickly closed the door. The other two doors were closed, but unlocked, so we cautiously entered the first one. It led to what I think they call the bridge on ships. It was vacant and eerily quiet. Trash and papers were strewn about as if the occupants left in a hurry. Richy immediately began searching for some way to communicate. As he did that, I looked around. There was another deck visible from this room, which meant this ship was nearly twice as long as I had thought.