Tired

I groggily made my way to the office at the loft with Richy in tow. They handed me new key fobs and then we went upstairs to the unit I shared with Dari. I held my breath as I unlocked the door, allowing Richy to go through first. "Don't look," Richy urged me, but I had to see what Phil had done.

Our sofas looked like someone had taken a hatchet to them. Same with our dining room table, and it looked like Phil had an enjoyable time smashing every dish in the kitchen. "How did nobody hear what he was doing?" I cried.

He had written "whore" all over the walls of Dari's bedroom. He had also smashed a good portion of her furniture and tore up her clothes. He'd spilled alcohol all over the mattress; it reeked of booze in the room. I went to my bedroom next. He had shredded the bed and the pillows. Mixed in with the mess were torn-up red roses, the petals scattered across the room. 

My underwear was strewn everywhere, and he had used a knife to slice them up. "You slept with him," he wrote above my bed.

I felt sick, but I had to go to my studio to see about the damage. He had smashed the electronic keyboard, the computer monitors, and my guitar. My world was starting to fade around me; I felt Richy lift me up and bring me outside, back to the truck. He held me across his lap, trying to get me to breathe deeply. 

"Li," I felt his tears hit my face, and he was kissing my forehead and cheeks. "Please answer me."

I reached up weakly and touched his face. "I'm OK," I rasped, feeling my heartbeat returning to normal. He blew out a breath in relief. "You know," I said in a small voice, "I'm not supposed to be under so much stress."

He gave me the response I was hoping for, laughing and wiping the tears from his eyes. Then he helped me sit up. I was a bit dizzy, but I'd be alright. "I'll call the police, you contact Jake," he told me. I nodded and pulled out my phone to text Jake about everything I'd seen. He called me back immediately.

"Li. Are you alright?"

"Well, this situation isn't great for my health," I said bluntly. "Plus I'm not sure how we can stay in the loft. He completely destroyed everything usable. It must have taken him hours, and I can't figure out how my neighbors didn't know anything was wrong."

"Can you wait a few minutes? I'm sending some agents to meet you so they can inspect your loft."

"Sure." This was my chance to try to glean some information. "So you don't go out into the field?"

"I do not," he responded.

"Good. That means nobody can shoot at you."

Jake chuckled. I think it was the first time I heard him laugh. "Are you worried about me?"

"Of course I am."

"Li..."

"The police are coming," Richy said, unintentionally interrupting what could have been a moment between Jake and me.

"Thank you. We have to wait here for the FBI and let them in. Jake, what should we do now?" I heard him typing. "I'm making reservations for you at a local hotel so that you don't have to drive back to Duskwood this evening. They have an interior lobby with only a single entrance, so it will be easier for the agents to watch who is coming and going. Please ask for an upper floor room. I will send you the address. I will continue working on more permanent accommodations for you. Please take care of yourself and try to get some rest. Talk to you tomorrow, Li."

"Bye," I said. A message came through; I showed Richy my phone. "We're supposed to stay here," I told him." He nodded, then we both jumped as someone knocked on the truck's passenger window. It was a man and a woman, both wearing professional clothing. The one who knocked showed me a badge that said FBI on it with their picture ID.