Ghosts of the Past

A/N: If you'd like to see how I picture Li as I'm writing her, take a look at Carissa Alvarado from Us the Duo (in the above video). Also, I know this chapter is a bit shorter than normal, but it's because for continuity of the story, it doesn't make sense to lump it in with what happens in the next, and I didn't want to just write a bunch of filler to up the word count. The next chapter should be its own thing--you'll see what I mean. Thank you for all the support, comments, and votes for this story so far. TTFN!

We pulled up to the Duskwood Police Station. Jake was a steady presence at my side as we walked in and waited for Alan. "Hello, Li," he said, a reserved smile on his face. "Congratulations on your engagement."

"Thank you, Alan. I'm sorry about how I behaved the last time I saw you. I was upset, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you," I said quickly. I could only hope that today's talk would go better.

"It's alright. I understand your frustration. Jake tells me that you have some new information for me?"

"Before we go into details, Alan, I would like to propose a trade. Some of the information is of a...sensitive nature, and we will give that to you freely. However, before we divulge the remainder, we would like to talk terms." I looked at Jake in surprise. He hadn't mentioned that he was going to say this, but I let him do his thing.

Alan nodded. "Very well."

"The sensitive information first, though, because we don't want to waste any time on this. It could be urgent." I sighed. "Alan, I"m sorry if this hurts you, but we've come across a threat to your ex-wife and children." I placed just the picture of his family on the table; the letter remained in the envelope.

Alan tensed, looking at the picture carefully without touching it. He glanced at Jake, who spoke next. "We believe they are safe for the time being, but that may change as the rest of the evidence we uncovered comes to light," Jake told him. "May I suggest a protection detail?"

"Against what? Who? My men have to know what they're up against in order for the detail to be effective. And why would someone go after my family? I don't even speak to them anymore." Alan clenched his fist on the table.

"It's Phil," I told him. "He has more accomplices. As for why, this threat was sent to someone who cares about your wife, and that's all we can say at this time."

Before Alan could argue and ask more questions, Jake interrupted. "Alan, please protect your family first. We will wait." Without a word, Alan left the room. I clasped Jake's hand.

"Poor guy. He won't like the rest of this," I said in a low voice.

"He will like to know how he can best protect his family," Jake asserted.

When Alan returned, he was laser-focused. "Tell me your terms."

"In exchange for this evidence and an additional bit of assistance that may lead to a confession, we want Richy Roger released, effective immediately."

Alan shook his head. "The DA won't agree to that. Phil is already locked up. We don't need more  evidence on him."

"This is for crimes you don't realize he's committed. It would also reveal his accomplice or accomplices, who are the ones that are prepared to take action against your family. Isn't that worth something, at least?" I implored Alan.

"The DA will only agree to any deal based on the strength of the evidence. That means you have to reveal it first and take the risk that she may refuse the deal."

"Other people's lives are at risk, not just your family's," I told Alan. "So I guess we will wait until she's present because we won't repeat this twice. I'll only waste my time once," Jake put a calming hand on my arm, but didn't contradict me; instead he supported me.