Strayed

Poor Jake. He dutifully kept us updated on Tyler and Laura's progress east to DC, his voice getting increasingly exasperated with each summary. According to Tyler's texts, they were bickering constantly--Laura had woken up in the car hungover and had to make many stops, while Tyler wanted to drive continuously to arrive faster.  But he was tracking Tyler's GPS as well, and they were at least moving in the correct direction.

Jake was hanging out in the barn with us while we worked and he messed around on his phone. At least the annoyance of our wayward travelers was a distraction to him while we waited for his family to show up. As expected, the moment the invitation came from me, Lilly said they'd be over immediately. 

We all jumped when the locked door rattled, and then there was frantic knocking. I considered getting my rifle while Richy headed for the baseball bat when we heard Lilly's impatient voice. I looked at Jake. "Are you ready?" 

"No," he swallowed. "But opportunities must be seized when they present themselves."

Richy swung open the door, wisely stepping aside as Lilly rushed in. Jake tensed as a tearful Lilly launched herself at him. The poor guy looked like a deer In headlights as he gingerly patted her back. I tried not to notice how he barely touched her, unlike when he'd invited me into his arms for a hug the night before. I dared not speculate about the reasons behind that, because it seemed like I'd merely be inviting more guilt and complication into my life. I was finally in a good place, and I wanted to believe his hesitancy with her was because he knew me better and trusted me more.

After Lilly finally released him and stepped aside, Jake's weeping dad and stepmom introduced themselves and also gave him gentler hugs. I had warned Lilly and asked her to tell her parents that Jake wasn't like Tyler. He was like the Jake we knew when from two years ago, plus he'd gone through two years of hell. That was six years of almost total isolation from anyone who showed him any compassion. We had to ease him into it. Lilly's entrance showed her feelings got the better of her, but it seemed like their parents were being more mindful of what I said. 

I invited them all to sit together at the table, while Richy and I stepped outside of the barn so they could have some privacy. We walked around to the side that faced the back of the property, which was private to both the road and my grandparents' house. We sat on the ground, leaning against the sun-soaked warmth of the barn's exterior wall, and shared some kisses while looking at the peaceful view. After some time, Jake texted asking for us to please come back quickly.

We jogged inside and found everyone with somber faces. "What is it?" My stomach clenched, and I reached for Richy's hand.

"Li. Tyler has gone offline."

I swayed on my feet, feeling sick. Richy grabbed me and guided me to the sofa. "Maybe he just doesn't have good wireless service?"

"His phone shut down," Jake clarified.

"So what are we thinking here?" Richy asked. "Did he decide to run, or was he captured?"

"We can only speculate," Jake responded. 

"What should we do?" I asked numbly. "Oh, wait." I took out my phone and dialed Laura's number.

"What," she answered in a rough voice. It sounded muffled.

"Laura? Are you alright? Where's Tyler?"

"What the fuck?" she muttered. "He left me here."

"Left you where?" Jake asked.

"I'm still at the motel in Corbin," she said. "My head is killing me, I'm gonna go now."

"He fled," Jake concluded. "I must get to work," he commented, standing up while his family watched him. He froze, realizing they were still in the room.