Reconciliation

Richy and I worked all the next day on a song, with him insisting that I take breaks to rest and eat. It frustrated me, but he was right. I just didn't have the stamina that I used to, and I needed a lot more vocal rest than I had before. The bullet had missed my lungs and diaphragm, but they were still out of shape from disuse. I had hoped to get a song ready for editing by the end of the day, but that wasn't happening.

"Hey, we'll get there, OK? If you teach me some of the computer stuff, I can help you." I nodded my head. I was feeling restless.

"Can we go for a walk?"

"I don't know, Li. It's dark outside."

"Would you feel better if we each take a rifle with us?"

Richy raised his eyebrows. "Dan wasn't kidding, huh?"

I held my arms away from my sides. "My grandfather and my dad are both vets. I know only exactly as much as I have to, though."

"I see. Well, I don't know how to shoot. Especially not a rifle."

"Rifles are actually easier to handle than handguns. At least, in my opinion. But you can take the baseball bat instead if you want."

He shook his head. "You don't mess around."

"I don't like using these things. But Phil is forcing me to protect myself because I won't put the rest of you through trying to get me back again if he takes me. Once is too many times that you had to do that."

I saw the pain on Richy's face. "Seeing you shot was the scariest moment of my life. At least, until the moment they told your parents that you had a heart attack during surgery."

"Same here when I watched you get shot," I smirked. "I called myself the ghost of Li when I was talking to Lilly. She wasn't too impressed."

Richy smacked his forehead. "You should've saved that one for me!"

"Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I've missed joking around with you."

He smiled fondly. "I wasn't sure I'd ever get the chance again."

"Well, I may have died, but I came back. Though I'm not quite sure all the circuits got reconnected correctly."

Richy snickered. "I hate it when that happens. They should have better wiring manuals when they're doing surgery."

"Right?" We both chuckled. It was like old times. Except...Jessy wasn't there to chide us. My smile dropped. "We were like the Three Musketeers," I told him. 

He nodded, knowing who I meant. "I know. I miss it, too."

"I have to try talking to her, Richy. I can't go on like this."

"I understand." He stroked my hair. "Let's take that walk, and then I'll give you some privacy to call her."

We stood up to leave when my phone rang. "I don't recognize the number," I told him, frowning. I swiped to answer and then tapped the speaker so he could hear. "Hello?"

"Is this Carmelita Ruiz?"

"Yes, who's this, please?"

"My name is Officer Hallard, calling from the Alton Police Department. I understand you received a threatening phone call."

I gave him all the details that I could remember and told him about the case in Duskwood. "Yes, I know about that. This is a federal case now, Ms. Ruiz. I'll need to pass your statement along to the FBI, and one of their agents may follow up with you."

"The FBI? Do you know who's working on that case?" I asked before the Officer could hang up.

"No ma'am, I don't have that information." He gave me a case number, which I scribbled down, and hung up.