Amaranthine

A few days later, it was all hands on deck responding to inquiries about the #SaveRichyRoger campaign. We'd even started to hear from some small news agencies and websites, and we were happy to give them details so that they could help us spread the word.

Finally, Richy's attorney called me. She didn't seem particularly thrilled about all the attention to the case, which I thought was weird. However, she did tell me that she would get authorization for me to be present at Richy's hearing, which was scheduled for a few weeks. She also emailed me a list of questions I might be asked and told me to be prepared.

When it was time for Richy's next visit, I went to his mother as we had agreed and got ready for the video call. I wanted to make sure that he had a chance to speak with his mom, but I was excited to talk to him about what was happening as well. I really hoped this would all be over soon. 

When Richy's face appeared on the screen, his mother clapped her hands. I wasn't sure she understood what was happening, but she recognized and was happy to see him. "Hey, Ma," he said with a big smile on his face. He glanced at me and smiled as well.

I watched them talking and laughing; it warmed my heart to witness it. When he had about fifteen minutes left, he told his mom he needed to talk to me, and would see her soon. I quickly walked to the porch and sat on the steps. "Hey, beautiful," he said with a smile, and my heart stopped for a moment. It felt like ages since he'd called me that, and it brought tears to my eyes.

"Aww, don't do that, Li. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you."

I quickly wiped my tears away. "No, it's fine. It just caught me off-guard, that's all. So, I heard about your hearing coming up. And the attorney said I could be there with you." My eyes were still a little blurry, but I thought Richy looked happy about it.

"And I heard that you did a letter-writing campaign for me on social media." he shook his head in disbelief. "This place is like a gossip mill, and all guards have been telling me stories."

"We even have reporters who are writing articles about it," I told him. "We're going to make sure you're safe, Richy, at the very least. But I'm hoping they'll just let you out."

"I can't thank you enough for this. You're...you're the best friend to me. And more than that," he finished quietly, affection on his face.

I swallowed. "No need to thank me. You are my best friend, too. But, Richy, I have to tell you, Jake and I fixed things between us. I don't want you to think that--"

"No need to explain," Richy sighed. "I have to admit, I was kind of hoping. But I should have known he wouldn't be stupid enough to let you go." He left unsaid that maybe he felt stupid about letting me go. I know he thought he'd done what was best for me--just like Dari said. In some ways, I felt no better than Hannah, getting him to sacrifice things he shouldn't have to because he was a good person who always put others first.

"I'm still always here for you, and I'll never stop caring about you." The words sounded trite and lacking to my ears, and I immediately regretted not thinking of something better to say.

"I know." The screen flickered with a warning. "It looks like that's it for today. But I'll see you next week, right?"

"Of course."

"Bye, Li."

"Bye."

I stared at the blank screen. I should have never told him that Jake and I were having trouble. It hadn't occurred to me that he thought it would mean we could rekindle our relationship. But why wouldn't he? He'd said he would take me back in heartbeat. I realized then that we'd parted ways without saying 'I love you' to each other. It hurt, but maybe it was for the best. He needed to let me go, and I needed to let him do it. I sat on the porch and cried quietly, staring at his ring on my finger, and finally mourning the end of my relationship with Richy.