Theories and Discussion- Candy Pop/Night Terrors

*TRIGGER WARNING: Brief mention of child death*

*To see the author credits, full origin story, and fanart credits for any chapter, click on the external link. It will take you to the chapter on Quotev. Scroll to the bottom of it and you'll find everything linked.*

Candy Pop has undergone a lot of changes and it was a bit difficult to find up-to-date canon information. I found as much as I could so what's below is as accurate as I can get.

Candy Cane hasn't been changed, she only ever had one really in-depth story. No character bio exists for her so I'll just cover them separately.

Appearance/Info

If we're going by the original version of Candy Pop like in his story with Candy Cane, he was an ageless demonic jester. He could make suckers, playing cards, flowers, balloons, etc. He and his twin sister Cane could converge into one form and split apart into themselves. They both seemed to feel each other's pain, as when Pop was stabbed in the eye, Cane felt it too. They most definitely had a telepathic bond as they worked perfectly in sync.

In the story, they had to be released from their box by being summoned correctly. Upon being called out, they killed their summoners after playing with them for a bit, so they still remain free.

In the purple balloon story, Pop is capable of entering dreams and taking the soul of anyone who takes a purple balloon from him. However, if the balloon pops, that person can escape. This doesn't mean they're free from him as he is capable of entering the real world, not just the dream world. He shows up in the form of a doctor after a girl escapes by popping the balloon he gave her.

The new canon story doesn't really feature Candy Cane at all. In this one, Candy Pop is said to be a fairy/elf hybrid with pale purple skin, dark blue hair, jester make up, and purple eyes. He's 7'1 in his normal jester form, but when Night Terrors (the demon who absorbed him) is in control, he's 9'6. His skin goes dark purple and his eyes change color. Night Terrors defeated Pop so Pop usually doesn't have control.

Night Terrors chooses to make children by forming contracts with human women, killing them when the child is born. He kills most of these children as well.

One of his children, Adarian Mallory, was taken to his Night Terrors' realm. Inside, all of his siblings made up the walls, ceilings and floors. Their cries rang out and terrified him.

Night Terrors was born in Heaven, cast out, and then ate a bunch of demons which essentially turned him into one. He acts as an incubus, sort of. Night Terrors can't use the magic he had before, so now he robs spirits and souls from others to add to his abilities.

However, since he can only be in the human world physically for a short time, he needs others to go where he can't. This is why he makes kids. I don't know why he kills them, though. That seems counterproductive.

Despite not being able to be in the physical world for long, he can manipulate human dreams. However, if that human isn't susceptible to manipulation, he can't do much to them. When not in the human world he resides in his own realm with his undead children called the Dark Abyss.

Traits

He's said to be playful at first before becoming dark and wicked. He likes to laugh at the suffering of others, taunting and mocking victims frequently.

His talents include ghost walking (idk what the fuck that is, just go with it), levitation, invisibility, psychosomatic illusions, demonic magic, nightmare manipulation, shapeshifting, soul absorption, psychological manipulation, and soul corruption.

As for his weaknesses, he's weak to holy items, individuals gifted by God, angels, the light, holy water, and the Bible. He fears all of these things.

Lastly, he's said to speak nearly every language.

Man, Pennywise sure got a lot from this guy LMAO. - Brinlee

Motive

Originally his motive seemed to be nothing other than pure malice. After his story changed and he was absorbed by Night Terrors, his only motive is getting free and saving his loved ones.

Night Terrors' goal is to absorb human and magic souls to add to his own strength. He also intends to make children to be able to reach everywhere he himself is incapable of going.

Method

Some of his methods include smashing victims with his hammer, beating them, scratching them until they bleed out, and taking their souls.

Weapon(s)

A large hammer, purple balloons, his own body.

Proxies

His son Adarian Mallory and all of his undead children. The word 'minions' might be more fitting than 'proxies'.

Theories

Like Laughing Jack and Jill, I think God is your only hope for escaping him. He was capable of being hurt when he was stabbed through the eye, so that might keep him off you long enough for you to grab a Bible and say a few prayers.

Pop and Cane were called demonic jesters in their origin story, they weren't fairies at all. Pop was changed into a fairy when his origins were changed, but I very much think he was fairy-like before. He and Cane were magical and alluring to children, promising to play with them all day and take them to a faraway land. It sounds like every typical fairy story where a child gets spirited away by colorful little fair-folk. Except this story is of course much more malevolent and the children are murdered.

Some species of fae are weak to iron so I wonder if they might show an adverse reaction to it as well. Also, they took the form of the protagonist's dead mother in the story, and many fairies are said to be able to shapeshift. However, demons are as well. They just seem very much like demon/fairy hybrids to me. If they aren't weak to iron, holy items will still work just fine.

Given his abilities, I see him as one of the strongest creeps there is. However, since he can't be in the physical world for long and his children are mostly out of action, I don't think he's as strong as the others in the physical world. Despite this, in the spirit world, I think he's most likely on par with or stronger than the strongest creepypastas there. Especially since he has so many souls and their various abilities residing in him.

I think having a dream catcher may be able to keep him out. (Side note, don't appropriate dream catchers in real life. Look into their history and meaning and buy from actual native sellers if you absolutely have to have one. They are not décor.) They are meant to prevent bad dreams, so this form of protection may prevent him from reaching you in your sleep.

Since Night Terrors is only after souls, promising your soul to God would likely help. He wouldn't be able to do anything. These are only guesses, though. Maybe he's crafty enough to get around these.

I remember reading some things about Candy Pop not too long ago, and I can recall people saying he's a demonic/fairy jester of sorts. I skimmed and did some digging too, and I'm curious to know if Pop is revolted by metal or iron too, just like in fae folklore. Telling that he's an entity with many sources though, it probably won't work for long so if wearing an iron suit helps lemme know y'all LOL. - Brinlee

I'm also a bit confused about Candy Pop "impregnating" women to create minions for himself. Though that might be canon information, I would see it a bit differently. Didn't the information state he can't be in the physical realm for too long? He probably has more sources than many know. He is a pretty OP guy after all. There is a chance he could use his powers to gaslight too. Just like Laughing Jack in a sense but on a slightly bigger scale. To me he seems very witty, so encountering him would be TERRIFYING. Running might not even help either so say your prayers and de-exist if you can. - Brinlee