Theories and Discussion Multichapter- Marble Hornets

*To see the author credits, full origin story, and fanart credits for any chapter, click on the external link. It will take you to the chapter on Quotev. Scroll to the bottom of it and you'll find everything linked.*

Spoilers for Marble Hornets, obviously. I will be talking about character deaths so don't read this if you haven't watched/finished.

Masky and Hoodie are fanmade names. In reality, they aren't really referred to with names.

I'm not covering Operator in this chapter, I covered him in his own.

I do NOT want to watch Marble Hornets all over again to make this chapter accurate, so apologies for anything that's not correct. I'm going off memory, feel free to correct me.

I won't be describing their appearances since you can watch the webseries yourself.

Contents:

Brian

Tim

Alex

Marble Hornets Info

Tim is a man who was diagnosed as schizophrenic as a kid, but in actuality he most likely isn't. He was just being haunted by the Operator who no one but him could initially see. As he grew up he got involved with Brian, Jay, Alex, Jessica, and a few others. He joined a student film project created by Alex that eventually spun into chaos due to the Operator's interference.

Throughout the course of the story, Alex, Jessica, Jay, Tim and Brian descend into madness more and more until eventually, Tim and Jessica are the last ones standing. (Some argue that Jessica is dead but it wasn't 100% confirmed.)

The Operator seemed to have a more profound effect on Alex for unknown reasons. He wasn't subjected to the Operator's influence for nearly as long as Tim, but his reaction was extremely negative.

Tim and Brian seemed to develop alternate personalities due to the Operator, but neither is particularly malicious toward anyone other than Alex and Operator. They are not proxies of the Operator, they are both against him. Even Alex is against the Operator, but in a much grander way that puts others in danger.

One thing leads to another and Brian dies from a fall (we'll get to that later cause I have a lot to say), Alex kills Jay (the sort of main protagonist), and Tim kills Alex. The end features Tim driving off on his own.

Brian Traits

Brian is a bit meek but he seems to be a friendly guy. After shifting into Hoodie, he became much more quiet and enigmatic. His motives were hard to understand, and at one point he began stealing pills from Tim and Alex both. Despite his mostly unclear motives, it is clear he is against Alex and the Operator. He isn't really shown snapping out of his other persona like Tim is, so it's unknown if he usually spends time as Hoodie or if he's a normal dude like Tim most days.

Tim Traits

He regularly takes pills to try to suppress the Operator's influence, and though it seems effective, he does have to take far more than is probably healthy. He retains his good character all throughout the story but he is still deeply troubled by the events surrounding him.

Alex Traits

Alex goes off the deep end. He seems to be under the impression that killing everyone the Operator has stalked will end his influence. I don't see why he thinks this as the Operator can just go haunt someone else, but he sticks by this belief all the way up until his death.

Motives

All of them share a motive despite having different ways of going about it. They intend to stop the Operator.

Methods

None of them really have a method, they just do whatever.

Weapon(s)

Anything.

Just a side note, when I saw Tim for the first time in his mask at Brians old house, I was crying of laughter. IM SORRY- BUT THE WAY JAY PANNED OVER TO THE COUCH BRO. ALONG WITH THE SILENCE AND TIM RUNNING AT HIM HAD ME G O N E FOR SOME REASON. IT'S NOT FUNNY AT ALL, BUT THE WAY IT LOOKED KIND OF MADE ME LAUGH. But anyways, yeah they literally use any weapon or B R U T E force with their fists. Just had to add that. - Brinlee

Theories

Brian is most likely dead for sure, it was confirmed in entry 86, but I still refuse to believe it. I mean come on it wasn't THAT high of a fall. My baby brother survived a similar one, actually. I like to think Tim was just being taunted by Alex and Operator to further his insanity. Brian was rendered unconscious or comatose from the fall and Alex said he was dead and it was Tim's fault just to provoke him. This theory is not true at all but I'm going to pretend it is to make myself feel better. <3

Same. Same. Same. My brain can't comprehend him being dead, it just doesn't feel right at all. I'm going to stay in denial too and nobody is gonna tell me otherwise.♡ - Brinlee

Personally I think the reason Alex was so negatively impacted by the Operator is simply because he was a person who was quicker to anger and react than the others. Throughout the whole story, he seems to be the most extroverted of the group. He's easier to get a reaction out of, be it positive or negative. All it takes is one little push from the Operator and he goes flying off the handle.

Maybe Brian isn't shown snapping out of being Hoodie because of his more meek and gentle personality. He just doesn't have the strength. Tim, being more used to Operator and therefore more resistant, has built the strength to snap out of it. Maybe if Brian lived longer he'd be able to snap out of it eventually, even if only for brief periods.

As for Jay, I don't know. He seemed unusually driven to figure everything out even though it was clearly extremely dangerous. Maybe his curious personality was amplified to the point that he didn't care if he incurred danger. He was driven to find the truth even at the cost of his mental and physical health.

Lastly, Jessica. She seemed to be increasingly paranoid. Maybe her fear and paranoia was amplified, slowly driving her crazy.

Whatever the cause, they all went mad in their own ways, and I find it interesting how different their descents into madness were.