Theories and Discussion- Smile Dog.jpg

*TRIGGER WARNING: Mentions of suicide*

*To see the author credits, full origin story, and fanart credits for any chapter, click on the external link. It will take you to the chapter on Quotev. Scroll to the bottom of it and you'll find everything linked.*

Please don't be afraid to look at the picture. Any negative entity will only feed off of fear so don't allow yourself to be scared. It's a fictional story and I've seen it many times with no consequences. (The chapter picture is not the photo, the photo is linked on Quotev.)

Appearance/Info

His appearance is that of a Siberian husky with a wide and unnatural grin. I'd say it's a human grin, but it's too wide and unusual to be described as completely human. The best way to describe it is as demonic. The photo that started the story contains the dog smiling at the camera and a hand reaching out behind the dog as if it's beckoning someone or something. Both subjects are illuminated only by the camera's flash and the entire photograph appears grainy.

A woman named Mary saw it at work 15 years before the beginning of the story. For the entirety of those 15 years it caused acute anxiety and haunted her in her dreams. From the outside, it appeared as if anyone dreaming of it was having epileptic fits. As the 'epileptic fit' went on, the victim would see the photo flashing over and over again in their mind. Mary said that while she slept she couldn't move, she just saw the photograph and heard the dog speaking to her. All it said was that it would leave her alone if she spread the word.

A week after originally seeing it, she received a manila envelope in the mail with no return address. All it contained was a floppy diskette that she knew contained the photo. She hid it and refused to share it for 15 years. She ended up killing herself but her husband found the diskette as he went through her things. He was driven insane by it and decided to burn it so no one would have to see it. It hissed like an animal as it burned.

Traits

It haunted Mary for 15 years so it's definitely got patience. It doesn't even seem particularly malevolent, it just tells the victim to spread the word and it will leave them alone. Does it leave them alone? We don't know, this story provides little answers to any questions.

Motive

For the word to be spread.

Method

It haunts its victims dreams and drives them insane for as long as it takes.

Weapon(s)

The only "weapon" it utilizes is the diskette it spreads from and psychological warfare.

Theories

I notice most people only seem to acknowledge the dog, but the hand is of great interest to me. Mary said the diskette containing the photo was mailed to her after she saw the image online. How did a dog send a letter? I don't think it did. I personally think the hand could be the human either working with the dog or for the dog. Maybe it's the first victim the dog ever showed itself to, and in order to not get haunted in their sleep, they send out the diskette to whoever sees the image so they can spread it further. Or rather than a victim, it's an accomplice. Maybe both the dog and human are demons who feed off energy and fear. While the dog haunts the dreams of victims, the human looking demon sends out the envelopes and spreads the image online. I don't know, that's the only theory I can come up with.

I agree with the hand possibly being a human. It could've been someone who's a skilled hacker, lol. Or as Ark said, this person was probably the first victim and is now spreading the word around. This person could've stumbled across smile dog or they intentionally sold themselves to it. Who knows. - Brinlee