Chapter 22- Overwhelmed

A golden light flashed all around me and my surroundings immediately changed. It seemed like I was transported into a room that looked very similar to a hospital room. A frail lady lay on the bed with her eyes half open. She looked familiar, very familiar but I couldn't quite place my finger on it. There was a man as well, standing beside her bed and holding a baby in his arms.

"I wouldn't survive this", the lady's voice was weak as she looked at the man tearfully.

"Cassie, don't say that. You'll get through this, okay?" His voice was pained and sorrowful.

"Jared" she spoke softly as she put her hand over his. "The doctors can't do anything. The cure isn't in this world".

The name she called sounded so familiar. I watched their interaction from a few feet away. Jared was standing with his back to me.

"Who did this?" Jared's voice was filled with rage and underlying sorrow. My heart ached for both of them. "Lauren", was Cassie's simple answer. "She poisoned me".

Jared's head bends forward but I can't see his expression. "It's my fault". I can only imagine the guilty expression his face holds.

"Don't blame yourself love", Cassie says softly as she lifts her hand slowly to caress his cheeks. "It's not your fault".

Cassie then reached her frail arms out towards the baby that Jared had in his arms. "I wanna see my baby one last time". Jared handed her the child and she immediately hugged it tight. There was something about that baby that was all too familiar so I took a step closer. I had this feeling that no matter how close I get to them they wouldn't notice me.

I came closer, stared at the baby and a gasp escaped my lips. I  continued to stare at the child horrified. She had dark hair and bright silver eyes. She had creamy skin and rosy cheeks and smiled fondly at her mother.

She was me.

Things started to come together but still didn't make sense. Jared was the name of my father. The child was me. The name they mentioned, Lauren, belonged to my mother, my father's wife. Then who is this lady? What's actually going on?

"I have something for you baby," Cassie said fondly before taking off the locket that was around her neck. The locket was golden with the word 'Cassie' engraved on it.

I instinctively look down at the locket I had in my hands. The same one my father gave me on my tenth birthday and of course, it was the exact same jewelry. I am now freaked out for life.

Cassie brings the locket to her chest and closes her eyes. A golden glow comes from her chest and transfers to the locket. She placed the still glowing locket around the baby's neck. The child's eyes glow a golden-red shade before returning to their original color.

"When the time comes you will discover the truth. This gift of mine would show you the events that took place here on this day. No one else would know what you are till you discover it for yourself.", Cassie tells the baby as she strokes her cheek. I get a feeling she's talking to me because she is.

"What should we name her?" Cassie asked as she looks up at Jared. "Cassandra", Jared answers as he smiles at the lady and the baby in her arms. It was a sad but loving smile. "Then her nickname can be Cassie", Jared smiles tearfully at his dying lover and I feel tears start to run down my own cheeks.

Does this mean?...

I felt my heart rate increase as I watched the scene unfold before me. Here I am watching my past play out in front of me and not having any idea what was happening.