Chapter 44- She's not here

Jason POV
"Fuck it!" I didn't know how to express myself at that moment as my fist collided hard with a tree. Normally, I was calm in tough situations but today it was far from it.

I couldn't protect my pack and I couldn't protect my mate. Just what kind of alpha was I?

I didn't know what to think as I stood at the borders surrounded with the bodies of my hurt and injured pack soldiers and the fact that I was led here by a trail of my mate's blood.

My world seemed to collapse in such a short time. Just about an hour and half ago, Cassandra and I had a snowball fight and it was the best time I had in a long while. It felt like I just blinked and she was gone.

It was now I understood the through meaning of 'you don't know much something means to you till you loose it'.

I didn't take Cassandra for granted but I could have done so much more. Much much more, to show how much I cared for her.

To show her how much I love her.

But I guess that opportunity is lost now.

I shook my head pushing the thoughts away. I was speaking like she was dead, she wasn't dead. She couldn't be dead.

They took her away alive for a reason.

My mind wandered back to the scene in front of me. Natalie was crouched over the dead pack soldiers crying her heart out along with their families.

Natalie had been close to each and every pack soldier, after all she had trained them and they respected her despite her being female and a majority of them being male.

I bit my lip making my way over to her to comfort her but someone beat me to it.

Zane was crouched down beside her in a matter of seconds and her head was laid on his chest as he gently patted her hair and whispered into her ear. My head tilted in confusion at the interaction but I didn't say anything.

His brothers had come up right behind him along with Drake and Duke. They looked at the scene with wide eyes.

"Where's Cassandra?" Blake whispered. The fear was evident in his voice as his head turned side to side to find his sister.

Natalie immediately sat up from Zane's chest with a tense posture that matched mine. Zane noticed, his gaze snapping to me as his eyes narrowed demanding for his sister's whereabouts.

My eyes shifted the the dry blood that coated the snow. The trail just stopped. "She's not here".

"What do you mean she's not here?!" Donald exploded in rage as he began marching towards my direction. If I wasn't in my current mood, I would have found it laughable that he thought he could try to hurt him.

Duke placed a hand on his shoulder stopping him from moving any further. He bit his lip as if trying to hold back his emotions before a choked sob raked through him.

Blake's eyes wandered the surrounding as if refusing to accept the fact that his sister was not in the vicinity.

His eyes snapped to me and they held so much pain it hurt for me to look. He has a really strong bond with Cassandra so it made sense for him to take it this hard.

"Where's my sister?" His voice cracked in clear pain, his eyes were pleading. "Jason, where's my sister?" He whispered.

"I don't know Blake", I said in a low sad voice. "I really don't know".

He shook his head in disbelief, letting out a harsh cry of frustration as tears ran down his cheeks. Drake pulled him to his chest and hugged him tightly for comfort.